Standard Liège vs Sevilla: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Liege welcome Sevilla to Belgium looking for revenge after the thrashing they received on match day one.
After being knocked out of the Champions League by Ajax in the qualification rounds Standard Liege started their Europa League campaign in the worst possible way, losing 5-1 in Seville. The Belgian side have only lost once at home domestically this season but will find things much tougher against this Sevilla side.
Sevilla are having a wonderful season so far, lying second in La Liga and looking good for qualification for the next round of the Europa League – a competition they have had unrivalled success in. Manager Pablo Machin knows that just a draw will do his side, although often when teams play for a point, they come away without any at all.
Standard Liege have won both their home games in the group so far and need another three points against Sevilla to keep in with a shout of progressing to the knock out rounds. But the Belgian side have conceded in all four group matches and may find the visitors too much to handle.
Only a late goal from Ever Banega gave Sevilla all three points against group minnows Akhisarspor in their last game and without that winner this match would have been a must-win affair. Now the pressure is off slightly but they could still go on to win 2-0 in Belgium.
- Sevilla to win
A draw is all Sevilla need to qualify for the round of 32 but the Spanish side enjoy this competition – having made it their own by lifting the trophy three years in a row between 2014 and 2016 – and will want to go for all three points.
- Sevilla to score in both halves
Sevilla like to score early in the Europa League and may well manage to find the net in both halves in Liege.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Sevilla have enjoyed the majority of the games between these two sides with Liege winning on just one occasion back in 2008.
- Sevilla are the top scorers in the Europa League group stage with 15 spread across their four games so far.
- Standard Liege have won both their home group matches by the same 2-1 score line. They also scored two home goals in their Champions League play off match at home to against Ajax.
- Only Sevilla and Villareal have scored five or more goals in a Europa League group match this season – and Sevilla have done it twice, 5-1 against Liege and 6-0 versus Akhisarspor.
- Standard Liege have not made it further than the group stage of the Europa League since the 2011/12 season when they went out to Hannover 96.