Spain vs England: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Monday, October 15, 2018 @20:45
Benito Villamarín, Seville
England go in search of revenge on Spanish soil after Spain inflicted the Three Lions’ first defeat in the UEFA Nations League.
Expect high intensity as two global heavyweights clash for the second time in the space of just over a month, and for Spain, victory will spell a perfect start with three from three.
Ever since Spain’s exit at the hands of Russia, La Roja have started to look once again like the side that dominated world football from 2008.
Eight goals in Luis Enrique’s first two competitive games in charge is a testament to that, especially considering the opposition (England of course, and that 6-0 thumping of World Cup finalists Croatia).
Although the Three Lions look a settled unit under Gareth Southgate, it is clear that youth is the key feature once more for this England side.
That will only surely play into Spain’s hands and considering the home side has won five of the last seven meetings between the two and four of them to nil, it is hard to look beyond Spain taking this one 2-0 in front of their ardent home support.
- Spain to win and stop England from scoring
Spain have won five of the last seven against England but more importantly have not conceded on home soil against the English since 1987 making this bet undoubtedly the best way to get match winner value on Spain.
- Under 2.5 goals
From 2004 to 2015, all five matches between the two resulted in less than three goals. Although the last two matches between the two has seen four and three goals respectively, that in general is a rare occurrence and under 2.5 goals is a more winnable bet statistically.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
There is a long history of head to head between these two but it is Spain who boast the superior record of late over their English opponents.
That is because of the last seven meetings between the two, Spain have won five and the Three Lions just the one.
Over the course of time, the history books slightly favour England with 13 wins to Spain’s 10.
However, Spain come into the game after 2-1 win over England at Wembley just last month and have not suffered defeat to the Three Lions since 2007.
- England have not scored on Spanish soil since winning 4-2 in 1987 in an international friendly.
- Spain beat England 2-1 as recently as September in the sides first ever Nations League match.
- England have lost their last four matches in Spain but did win a penalty shootout against them during Euro 96.
- Spain has won five of the last seven matches between the two dating back to 2004.
- Spain has scored eight goals in their opening two Nations League fixtures including a 6-0 thumping of World Cup finalists Croatia.