Shakhtar Donetsk vs Man. City: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Pep Guardiola takes Manchester City to Donetsk hoping that their less than convincing start to the campaign kicks into gear.
Shakhtar will consider themselves slightly unfortunate to have only two points after two matches. A late goal may have saved the point in their opener against Hoffenheim but they were two up in Lyon before the French side came back into the match and salvaged a point themselves. The Ukrainian side will not be short of confidence at home.
Manchester City may still be the favourites to lift the Champions League trophy in Madrid next summer but they have not looked like winners so far. A defeat to Lyon at home was followed by a scare in Hoffenheim when the hosts went one up within a minute. City eventually took all three points then but need to navigate this group more wisely to avoid a potentially tough match in the next round.
Shakhtar have won the Ukrainian Premier League eleven times since the turn of the century and top the table so far this time round only losing to arch rivals Dynamo Kyiv. European competition is where this side want to prove themselves however and although they have been drawn in a tough group they will feel as though they can make it to the knock out stage.
Domestically Manchester City look like they will once again be challenging for top spot and have looked very impressive so far this season. Chelsea and Liverpool look most likely to push them for honours but both those sides will need to go up a gear to keep with Guardiola’s side who are playing some wonderful football. Expect an away victory here – 2-1 to City.
- Man City to win and both teams to score at 6/4
Shakhtar will be dangerous at home and although City will be the favourites the Ukrainian side have scored twice in both group matches so far and could well push their visitors all the way.
- Both teams to score and over 2.5 goals at 5/6
This match feels as though there will be goals in it – and the likelihood is that both sides will contribute to what promises to be an exciting match.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two sides met for the first time at the same stage last season – with both clubs earning home wins to help them qualify for the knock out rounds.
- Manchester City scored in the 90th minute of both matches between these two sides last season.
- Shakhtar’s Junior Moraes jointly leads the table for most fouls committed in the Champions League this season.
- For one of the most feared club sides in Europe it is perhaps surprising that Manchester City have only won two of their last seven European matches.
- The Ukrainian side will be confident at home, having lost only one of their last 15 games in Europe.