Paris Saint-Germain vs Napoli: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
The PSG, Napoli and Liverpool dynamic promised to be a tantalizing group and thus far, it’s succeeding the hype.
Paris Saint-Germain and Napoli is a mouth-watering tie that is more deserving to be a knock-out game than a group one but the modern Champions League delivers these sorts of games year-on-year.
This one pits the top scorers in the France against the third highest scorers in Italy. After their no show against Liverpool on matchday one, there may be a bit of a fire in the belly of Thomas Tuchel’s side, wanting to prove they’re serious for a run at the Champions League.
Napoli made a statement against Liverpool already with a last minute Lorenzo Insigne winner. Napoli were touted as the third horse in a two horse race when this group was drawn but it’s now been blown wide open.
As PSG are on home turf, you can expect them to control the game, letting their midfield do the dirty work while their front three attempt to wreak havoc as they often do.
The questionable will be whether Napoli, who are by no means excellent defensively from an overall point of view, can fend them off for ninety minutes.
The answer is most likely not, but Ancelotti has been smart to keep the offensive framework left by Sarri. If they can keep PSG under two goals, there’s no reason Insigne and the like can’t match them.
However, PSG will prevail due to their superior attacking quality, with a 2-1 win for PSG.
- Over 2.5 goals
There have been over 2.5 goals in PSG’s last 17 Champions League games. Couple that with the fact free scoring Napoli are coming to town and you have a banker.
- Draw and both teams to score
A long shot bet but definitely worth pondering. Carlo Ancelotti showed he’s still got his tactical nous with his gameplan to neutralise Liverpool on matchday two. Keeping Neymar and co. quiet in Paris is a different story but looking at the odds, it’s worth a go.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
This is the first time PSG and Napoli will meet in a competitive setting. Their only previous meeting was in a club friendly in August 2014 where the French side won 2-1
- Neymar is the joint second top scorer in the Champions League this season with three goals in two games.
- PSG average the second most shots in the competition with 21.5 per game. They also lead the way in aerial duels won, winning 67.7% of them.
- Napoli’s 66.8% possession against Red Star Belgrade on matchday one is the most possession for an away side so far this season.
- Napoli are one of four clubs yet to concede a goal in the Champions League this season, along with Dortmund, Juventus and Manchester United.