Olympiacos vs Real Betis: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Thursday, September 20th, 2018, 21:00pm
Stadio Georgios Karaiskakis
The Greek giants welcome a new look Betis side to Piraeus to kick off this season’s Europa League group stage.
Olympiacos are more used to starting off their European campaigns in the Champions League but after finishing third in the Greek Super League last season behind AEK and PAOK they have had to come through a qualifying round as well as a play off against English Premier League side Burnley.
Betis are never happier than beating their city rivals Sevilla and finishing one place above them in last season’s La Liga gained them automatic Europa League group stage qualification as well as local bragging rights.
The visitors attracted a lot of attention with their summer transfer business that saw Japan international Takashi Inui join on a free from Eibar and William Carvalho swap Sporting’s green hoops for Betis’ green stripes. Much is expected from the new look side and an indifferent start has only been made better by winning the first derby of the season against Sevilla.
Olympiacos have started this season brightly – unbeaten in the league and impressively seeing off the challenges of Swiss side Luzern and Burnley in European competition. The Greek side will believe that they deserve to make it to the later rounds of the Europa League this season but with Milan in their group they will know that the two games against Betis are crucial, and this is one they can win 3-1.
- Olympiacos to win at 2.40. Bet Now with Betway.
The early group games of the Europa League are notoriously tough to call but Olympiacos have already negotiated their way through two rounds to get here and look to be in the winning mood.
- Fist team to score is Olympiacos FC at 1.88. Bet Now with Betway.
Olympiacos have already scored a fair few goals this season – including 11 in the Europa League qualifying stages alone. Betis’ defence has not looked as tight as they would hope so far and with their attacking talent should be able to find the net as well – so expect goals when these two meet.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two sides have never met before and this is the first time Real Betis has ever played against any Greek opposition.
- Olympiacos finished bottom of their Champions League group last season with only one point to show from their six matches. It meant that they missed out on transferring to the Europa League.
- This is Real Betis’ first European campaign for four years and their fans won’t like to be reminded of their exit last time out – Sevilla knocked them out of the Europa League on penalties in the round of 16.
- Although they have never won a European competition, Olympiacos did make it to the quarterfinals of the Champions League in the 1998-99 season where they were knocked out by Juventus.
- William Carvalho will be particularly looking forward to this match as he captained Sporting Lisbon for both fixtures against the Greek side in last year’s Champions League – overseeing two victories.