Man. City vs Shakhtar Donetsk: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Wednesday, November 7th 2018, @21:00
City of Manchester Stadium Manchester
Manchester City entertain the Ukrainian champions looking to get a first home victory in this season’s Champions League.
Manchester City have been very impressive in the English Premier League this season and seem to have got over their opening home defeat to Lyon in the Champions League to look like one of the real contenders for lifting the trophy in Madrid next June.
Shakhtar were comprehensively beaten by Manchester City in their home game a couple of weeks ago and will be fearful of another heavy defeat at the Etihad. A favourable result in the other match in the group between Lyon and Hoffenheim could give the Ukrainian side a little bit of hope though.
As if Manchester City were not already an imposing prospect for any opponent, Riyad Mahrez has given Pep Guardiola even more options thanks to the Algerian fitting seamlessly into the side. Kevin De Bruyne’s return to fitness will be another reason why Shakhtar may not be looking forward to this match.
Shakhtar may consider themselves unlucky to have only been on two points after their first two Group F matches – having been 2-0 up in Lyon before the French side came back to earn the point. But Manchester City easily won the match in Donetsk and will be huge favourites here. A 4-0 score line is not out of the question.
- Manchester City to win to nil
Both Lyon and Hoffenheim scored against Manchester City but Shakhtar were not as lucky at home and they will get even fewer chances at the Etihad.
- Total goals over 3.5
City have already put three past the Shakhtar defence and will be thinking that this will be a really good chance to increase their goal difference.
1 x 2 Odds
|Man. City||Draw||Shakhtar Donetsk|
Head To Head
Manchester City won this fixture 2-0 in last season’s Champions League and have now won two out of the three times these two have crossed paths.
- Only Real Madrid have recorded more attempts on goal than Manchester City in this season’s Champions League.
- Shakhtar Donetsk have never won a match in England, losing six and drawing one of their seven games.
- With the likes of Sergio Agüero, Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling it is perhaps surprising that David Silva is the player who has scored in back to back Champions League matches.
- No Ukrainian players have scored for Shakhtar Donetsk in Europe this season – all four of their goals have been scored by Brazilians.