Malmö vs Chelsea: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
The match is over.
Malmo welcome Europa League favourites Chelsea to southern Sweden for their round of 32 first leg match.
Malmo would have been disappointed with getting knocked out of the Champions League by Hungarian side MOL Vidi and missing out on the lucrative group stage matches. A Europa League group was navigated relatively smoothly but they now face Premier league giants Chelsea during their off season and may find this tie difficult.
Chelsea eased through their Europa League group, only dropping points to MOL Vidi (the side who knocked Malmo out of the Champions League) in their final match. The London club are favourites to lift the Europa League trophy in May and will be confident of a win in Sweden.
After recent domination of the Swedish league Malmo endured a tough season last year – thanks mostly to a terrible run of form at the start of the season where they were 12th in the table at one stage. They recovered to finish third in the end and qualify for Europe once again – but this is a tough draw and their fans will not be too confident.
Chelsea have struggled in the league this season – none more so than at Manchester City on Sunday – with new coach Maurizio Sarri seemingly taking his time to get the team to play the style of football that was so successful at Napoli. They should progress from this tie though and could even get a valuable away win – 2-0 to the visitors is a good bet.
- Chelsea to win 2-0
The top bookmaker sites are confident that Chelsea will come away with a win so there is more value to be found in the correct score bet.
- Gonzalo Higuain to score first
Chelsea’s new loan signing has had an immediate effect on the way the team attacks and it is not inconceivable that the Argentina striker will continue that form in the Europa League.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two sides have never played each other.
- Chelsea dominated their Europa League group – even accounting for their final draw against MOL Vidi. In their six matches they recorded an incredible 134 attempts – more than anyone else in the competition.
- Malmo were looking good in their group before drawing three games in a row – two at home – that meant they needed to win at Besiktas on the final match day to go through.
- Chelsea are favourites in this tie but they do not have a great record against Swedish clubs. In four matches they have won only once.
- Malmo’s record against English clubs in European competition is even worse though. In five matches they have won one, drawn one and lost three – most memorably against Nottingham Forest in the 1979 European Cup final.