Golf Betting in South Africa
Golf betting offers punters numerous ways to make a profit and this BettingTop10 guide will help you learn all you need to know about wagering on the sport.
Reliable odds, with a wide range
Excellent live video streaming
There are many different operators that offer the option of betting on golf, with a wide range of markets and odds available.We explain how to bet on golf tournaments around the world, point you in the direction of the best bookmakers and bring you the best tips, offers and promotions from across the industry. With golf events taking place on nearly every weekend throughout the year, there are plenty of opportunities to boost your bankroll by betting on the sport.
Golf betting odds
Golf odds in South Africa are structured in the same way as many other sports, with win and each-way the two most popular types of bets.Betting on the winner of a particular tournament is the easiest way of gambling on golf and simply involves picking who think will shoot the lowest score over four rounds.
If you place a R2 bet on a golfer to win a tournament at odds of 9/1 you would receive R20 (R18 profit plus your original stake) if he/she lifts the trophy at the end of the event.Many people like to bet each-way on golf, as there can be some tremendous value available in the sport’s betting markets.
Most bookmakers offer 1/4 of the odds to finish in the first four, although some of the top events will be paid out on the top five or even the top six finishers.Using the same example of a golfer at odds at 9/1, a R2 each-way bet would result in winnings of R20.00 for the win part and R6.50 for the place portion. If your selection finishes second, third, or fourth you would only receive the place part of your bet.
Golfers usually tee off in pairs or threes and South African bookmakers offer odds on these matches. For example, in 2-ball you can bet on who think will shoot the lowest score in the round.
Golf betting tips
Before betting on golf, it is advisable to do some research on the sport. Visit the official websites of the PGA Tour and European PGA Tour where you will find detailed statistics on each player and the results of all the previous tournaments. Keep an eye on the form of the golfers, watch out for any injuries and piece all this information together before wagering on the sport.
All golfers have their preferred course conditions, so take time to learn which players might have an advantage in a particular tournament. For example, if the weather is extremely windy, make sure your selection is comfortable playing in those type of conditions.
The course is another major factor in which golfers are going to shoot low scores. Some are deliberately designed to suit players who can hit long drives off the tee, while others favour those who have a strong short game.
Legendary golfer Jack Nicklaus loved playing at Pebble Beach, while South Africa’s Ernie Els favoured Augusta National. Paying attention to which golfers like playing on a particular course will undoubtedly help you make a profit from your golf betting.
A winning strategy
Much like many other popular sports there is no guaranteed formula to win money by betting on golf, but there are numerous ways you can improve your chances of making a profit. Golf is an unpredictable sport so it is important to ensure you never bet more than you can afford to lose.
Tournaments take place throughout the year, so make sure you carry out in-depth research on an ongoing basis to look for opportunities to secure an advantage against the bookmakers.
Before placing any bets, study the golfers and assess their current form. Look at their recent finishes in tournaments leading up to the event you’re betting on and rule out any players who aren’t making their mark on the leader boards.
Research statistics such as driving accuracy, greens in regulation and putting accuracy – if players are performing well in these areas they are more likely to be competitive in tournaments. Make sure you study the courses to determine which players favour playing at particular venues.
Some golf courses require accuracy off the tee, while others favour players who can hit the ball long distances. Windy conditions can also have an impact, so studying the different courses will help you determine which golfer to back. Before wagering on golf create a sustainable betting plan. For instance, if you calculate you can afford to bet R200 per month, it’s advisable to transfer this into a separate account.
Keep your discipline and never chase your losses, as this can result in you veering away from your betting plan. Make sure you monitor your golf betting activity – this is crucial to your hopes of making a profit from gambling. Golf is one of the best sports to gamble on, with lots of opportunities to place bets both before and during the various tournaments.
Keep an eye on BettingTop10 to find all the information you need to enjoy successful wagering on golf tournaments. We strive to save you time by following all the tournaments and researching the various betting companies, so you can maximise your chances of securing a profit from your gambling on golf.
How to bet on golf
There are a few simple steps you need to familiarise yourself with before betting on any golf tournament. These are as follows:
- Find a reputable betting site and register for an account. Check out what sign-up bonuses are available and take advantage of any free bets the operator is offering.
- Log into your account and make a deposit using one of the numerous payment methods available to South African punters.
- Search for golf in the sports menu and check out the wide range of tournaments being played around the world. Choose the one you want to bet on and click on it.
- Check out the different markets and odds along with the type of bet you want to place. Decide how much you want to wager and place your bet.
- Watch the action unfold over four thrilling days before collecting any winnings if your selection emerges victorious.
- The majority of the top bookmakers also offer live in-play betting, meaning you can adjust your picks during the course of the tournament.
Golf Annual Events
Golf tournaments take place around the world almost every week of the year, but there are four competitions that stand out from the rest.
The Major Championships – the Masters, the US Open, the Open Championship and the PGA Championship – are widely recognised as being the pinnacle of the sport.
There are also team competitions such as the Ryder Cup and the World Cup of Golfthat offer more exciting opportunities for punters to place a bet.
The top six golf tournaments are as follows:
- The Masters: One of the four major championships, The Masters takes place during the first full week of April. It is the first major of the year and, unlike the others, it is held annually at the same location, Augusta National Golf Club.
- The Players Championship: This event offers the highest prize fund of any tournament in golf and usually includes the top 50 players in the world rankings. Widely considered as the unofficial “fifth major”, it has been held during May at the Sawgrass Stadium Course since 1982.
- The US Open: The United States Open Championship, commonly known as the US Open, is the second of the four major championships in golf. It is staged in mid-June and is generally played on courses that feature difficult playing conditions.
- The Open Championship: Often referred to as The Open or the British Open, this is the oldest of the four majors. Held since 1860 in the United Kingdom, it is played during mid-July.
- The PGA Championship: The season’s final major is generally played on the third weekend in August. The event is usually staged at one of a small group of courses in the USA, each of which has also hosted several other leading events, including the US Open and Ryder Cup.
- The Ryder Cup: This a biennial men’s golf competition between teams from the United States and Europe. It involves various match play competitions between players selected from two teams of twelve.
Both the US Tour and European Tour include a final series where the season’s most successful players compete for a huge money prize. This includes the Race to Dubai on the ET and the Fed-Ex Cup in the United States.