Cricket Betting South Africa
Cricket betting is a popular activity in South Africa and our BettingTop10 guide will teach you everything you need to know to win real money at top sportsbooks. On this page, you’ll find all the information on how to calculate and read odds, where to find free bets, experts tips and winning strategies and much more.
We’ve done all the hard work for you so all you have to do is sit back and read. This page includes information on how to bet on your mobile device too and explains what in-play options are.
Cricket Betting Odds Explained
Before you can place any bets on cricket matches, you need to be able to read and understand the odds that bookmakers offer. Odds can be displayed as fractional or decimal and most betting sites will allow you to choose the format that works best for you. Below we have a brief over view of each of these formats.
- Fractional Odds: This is where the odds are displayed as fractions and will look something like 2/1, 4/1, 9/4, etc. The first number shown is the amount you will win if you wager the second number. To calculate your winnings all you have to do is multiply your stake by the first number show. You then add on the amount of your wager. For example, if you bet 1 ZAR at odds of 2/1 you will win a total of 3 ZAR.
- Decimal Odds: This is where odds as displayed as decimals, e.g. 3.00, 2.00, etc. To calculate your winnings, you have to multiple your bet amount by the decimal number. For example, if you bet 1 ZAR at odds of 3.00 you will win 3 ZAR. Your bet amount is included in the odds.
Types of Bets You Can Place
There are a lots of different cricket bets you can place and below we have listed the most popular choices.
- To win the match – You are betting on the team that you think will win the match.
- Man of the match – With this option, you are betting on who you think will be named man of the match after the game has finished.
- Top Batsman – You are betting on who you think will make the most runs.
- Top Bowler – You are betting on who takes the most wickets in a match.
- Leading wicket taker – this is similar to the leading run scorer
- Next batsman out – You are betting on who you think will be the next batsman out.
- To win the series – You are betting on the team you think will win the series.
- To win the toss – You are betting on which team you think will bat first
- Most sixes – You are betting on the batsman that you think will hit maximum sixes during a match.
Cricket Betting Tips For Beginners
Before you even consider placing real money wagers, there are a few things you should know. Below you will find our BettingTop10 tips which have been created by our experts to give you a head start in winning money with your bets.
- Know the Game: It is important to understand how the game is played, know the rules and be aware of all the upcoming cricket matches. The more knowledge you have the easier it is to win your bets.
- Choose The Most Profitable Odds: It’s easy to just place your money on your favourite team, but this won’t necessarily give you a win. We recommend you place your money on the most profitable outcome based on the odds given by your chosen sportsbook.
- Choose a reputable online bookmaker. It should go without saying, that you sign up with a licensed and regulated bookmaker. Our sportsbetting reviews can help you with this. All the sites we recommend have been put through rigorous testing by our experts and you can be sure your money is safe. We look at every aspect including bonuses and promotions, fast payouts, site features, mobile betting and more.
- Follow the News: It is important to stay up to date with all the latest cricket news. You should know about any player injuries or absences, how the different teams are performing throughout the season, and so on. Having this information to hand will make choosing your bets a lot easier and your chances of winning will increase.
The Rules – How to Bet on Cricket in South Africa?
Cricket is the second most popular sport in South Africa. It is a game that is played with a bat and a ball on a large field which is referred to as the ground. There are two teams of 11 players each and the aim of the game is to score runs when batting and to get the batsman out when you are playing in the field. Each team also has a reserve player who is used if any player is injured during the game. The original player can return to the game once they have recovered. There are three umpires for each game and they are responsible for making decisions and upholding the rules.
Test cricket spans over two innings. One team must bowl the other team out twice and score more runs than their opponent to win the match. In test cricket, there is no limit to the length of the innings. In one day and Twenty20 cricket matches there is a certain number of overs per inning.
The game begins with a coin toss and the winner gets to decide whether they will bat or field first. The batting team must score runs while the field team must bowl ten people out and close the batting team’s innings. Only ten people need to be bowled out. Batting is done in pairs. Once the first team has been bowled out the second team goes in to bat.
The batsman must score runs and that means they must run to each other’s end of the pitch. This is one run. The batsman can do multiple runs per shot. Runs can also be scored by hitting boundaries. This will score 4 or 6 runs. There are other rules that include no balls, wide balls, byes, and leg byes. There are a number of ways that the batsman can be got out. When a bowler gets a batsman out he gets a wicket and there are a number of ways this can happen including bowled, caught, leg before wicket, stumped, run out, hit wicket, handled the ball, time out, hit the ball twice, and obstructing the field.
There are three different types of cricket match that can be bet on. The longest of these is the five-day Test match. These are usually the most competitive with teams battling it out over four innings. There are shorter One Day (ODI) games as well, and there is the Twenty20 format. The shorter matches allow for more excitement and a more attacking style of play. Be sure to check what type of match you are betting on before handing over your money.
Annual Events and Tournament Championships
South Africa is one of the world’s leading cricket playing nations and is one of the twelve countries that have been sanctioned by the International Cricket Council to play test cricket. Below we have a list of all the main events you can bet on.
- Currie Cup: This is a domestic cricket competition.
- Sunfoil Series: A four day first class competition. Test series tournament.
- MTN Domestic Championship: A one day competition.
- Standard Bank Pro 20 Series: This is a domestic Twenty20 competition.
- CSA Provincial Competitions: These include a first-class three days, List A (50 over), and Twenty20 tournament.
- Africa T20 Cup: A domestic showcase for cricket development with 13 provincial sides.
- Momentum One Day Cup – held in South Africa in ODI format.
- Ram Slam T20 Challenge – held in South Africa and is a T20 format.
- Masters Champions League – this tournament is held in the United Arab Emirates and is a T20 format.
- Pakistan Super League – Held in Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates and is a T20 format.
- ICC Test Championship – The location of this tournament varies. It is test format.
- ICC World Cricket League – The location of this varies and it is in ODI format.
- Asia Cup – Held annually in Asia in T20 and ODI formats.
- Sheffield Shield – Held in Australia and is a First Class format.
- County Championship – Held in England and Wales and is a First class format.
- Bangladesh Premier League – Held in Bangladesh and is a T20 format.
- Cricket World Cup – Held in various locations in ODI format.
- IPL – Held in India and is a T20 format.
- ICC World Twenty20 – The location varies and is a T20 format.
- Big Bash League – Held in Australia and is a T20 format.
- The Ashes – Held in Australia and England and is Test Format.
- ICC Champions Trophy – The location varies and it is ODI format.
- Australian Big Bash League
- Pakistan Super League
- Indian Premier League
- England NatWest T20 Blast
- Caribbean Premier League
- Bangladesh Premier League
- Global T20 League
- South African Ram Slam T20 League
In Play Live Betting
In-play betting is very popular and a great way to get some big wins in cricket betting. It allows you to place bets at ever changing odds as the match players out. There are lots of different bets to choose from too which makes it even more exciting. You can place bets on your mobile and desktop so you never need to miss out on any of the action.
Some sportsbetting sites stream the matches and there are plenty of statistics to follow along with too. You can place your bets at any time during the game and this is a great way to win money on underdogs too.
A winning Strategy For Professionals
Below is our BettingTop10 winning strategy to help you increase your chances of making money on your bets.
- Research is key: Know the different cricket leagues and who is who. This includes team history and team performance throughout the season. Knowledge is essential if you want to win.
- Understand the Odds: Again, this is essential and you want to make sure you know how to read the odds. Find the best odds for your bets.
- Watch the Weather: Cricket is played year-round so weather can have an effect especially for players playing in different countries not used to the climate. This always tends to give the home team an advantage.
- Statistics are your friend: Study the statistics as these will give you information on the strengths and weaknesses of each team. Certain teams perform better in different formats so check the stats for all types including One Day, Test, and T20.
- Pitch Conditions: This is similar to weather and can affect the outcome of the game. Dry days tend to favour the batsman whereas humid conditions can hinder him.
- Use In-Play: In-play betting should be used where possible. There is great money to be made here because of the length of the games and a good batting session can change things dramatically.
- Inning Scores: First innings scores are important and you need to take note of these as they can help you predict the rest of the game.