Club Brugge vs Atlético: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Tuesday, December 11th 2018, @22:00
Jan Breydelstadion Bruges
Only the question of who tops the group is to be decided as Atletico travel to Belgium to take on Club Brugge.
Club Brugge upset Borussia Dortmund on matchday five by recording a scoreless draw in Germany that handed Atletico advantage in the group. The Belgian side had previously thrashed Thierry Henry’s Monaco side 4-0 and are now assured of a place in the Europa League.
Group A is in Atletico Madrid’s hands as they know that if they get a better result than Dortmund it is they who will go through to the round of 16 as group winners. The Spanish side were stunned by Dortmund back in October when they were beaten 4-0 but have won every other game in the group and will be favourites here.
This was always going to be a very tough group for Club Brugge – and going into their final match already knowing they will be entering the Europa League is probably an achievement in itself. Atletico and Dortmund were always going to be favourites to beat the Belgian side but taking four points off Monaco has seen them take third spot.
Atletico have been steady without playing spectacular football so far in their Champions League campaign but will be confident of a win in Brugge to hand them a potentially easier draw in the round of 16. With all their success, Diego Someone’s men failed to even get out of the group stage last season so this is a definite improvement. They can expect a 2-0 victory in Belgium.
- Atletico Madrid to win
Club Brugge know whatever the result they will enter the Europa League but Atletico will top the group with three points in Bruges.
- Atletico Madrid to win to nil
Atletico have not scored that many in this group but do not let in many either so a clean sheet for the Madrid keeper will be the thought of many on the sports betting sites.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Atletico Madrid won the first game between these two in the group 3-1 in October – but Club Brugge won the only other match played in Belgium back in 1978.
- Club Brugge have never made it beyond the group stage in the Champions League in it’s current format.
- Before last season’s Champions League disappointment, Atletico had made it to two of the last four finals – and the quarter final and the semi final in the other two seasons.
- Club Brugge are the only Belgian club to play in a European final – they lost the 1978 European Cup final to Liverpool.
- Apart from their thrashing at the hands of Borussia Dortmund on match day three, Atletico Madrid have only lost one other game in all competitions this season – a 2-0 defeat to Celta Vigo back at the start of September.