Chelsea vs Man Utd: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Saturday, October 20th, 2018, 3:30pm
Stamford Bridge, London
Chelsea welcome Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United to Stamford Bridge as both sides attempt to continue recent good form.
Although Maurizio Sarri won’t publically admit it, Chelsea are looking like the main side to challenge Manchester City and Liverpool for the title this year. A year of potentially getting used to a new coach has turned into a great start for everyone at the club and they will be confident of continuing their unbeaten start to the season against United.
After ten minutes of their match at home to Newcastle it felt like the final nails in the coffin for Mourinho’s tenure at Old Trafford. But Manchester United turned things around in spectacular fashion, scoring three goals in the process and entering the international break in a much less sombre mood.
A convincing 3-0 victory away at Southampton in their last game saw Chelsea end a slight blip to get back to winning ways. The fact that the ‘blip’ was only two successive draws – one against Liverpool – shows how good their season has been. Eden Hazard in particular has looked in fine form and Chelsea should be doing all they can to keep him at the club for as long as they can.
The comeback against Newcastle pushed questions about Mourinho’s future – and his relationships with some of the players – off the back pages for a little while. The international break has also meant that the soap opera surrounding Old Trafford has died down. Chelsea will be favourites for this match and though United may have turned a corner on what has been a strange season so far, the home side can still win 2-1.
- Both teams to score
For all their troubles Manchester United have only failed to score once so far this season and Chelsea have also found the net regularly. It would be surprising if both sides don’t score here.
- Chelsea to win by one goal
Chelsea have dominated games at home and will be favourites to win. But Manchester United have possibly found a new steely determination and will push their hosts all the way in this one.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Three points have usually gone to the home side in this fixture over the past few seasons and Chelsea also beat their visitors in last season’s FA Cup final with a solitary Eden Hazard goal.
- With Mo Salah and Harry Kane not hitting top form yet it is still Chelsea’s Eden Hazard that tops the goal charts. He now has seven goals in eight games.
- Before the comeback against Newcastle, Manchester United had equalled their worst ever start to the season – the year when David Moyes took over from Sir Alex Ferguson.
- Summer signing Jorginho is still top of the Premier League passes chart with an incredible 853 in just eight games – that’s over 100 more than his nearest challenger.
- Manchester United may have had a mixed start to the season but they have only failed to score two or more goals on three occasions.