West Ham vs Chelsea: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Sunday, September 23, 2018, 6:00 PM
London Stadium, London
West Ham 0 – 0 Chelsea
Two Spanish managers meet at St James’ Park with Rafa Benitez unsettled at Newcastle and Unai Emery still settling in at Arsenal.
It’s an all-London affair and it may be too much capital city for some people but as both sides come into the right on form, an explosion of action should be on the cards on a Sunday afternoon full of Premier League action one will not want to miss.
Prior to West Ham’s victory over Everton on Sunday, the Hammers were looking like fodder for a Blues side who just can’t stop winning.
However, West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini found a system that worked in his sides impressive 3-1 away win over the Toffee’s.
That result has changed the complexion of this game completely especially for opponents that the Hammers have a habit of getting in gear for.
However, with five wins from five Chelsea are looking ruthless under new head coach Maurizio Sarri but we expect the momentum to sway somewhat as repeat of the sides 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge in March 2016 is a result that will keep both sides relatively happy.
- The draw and both teams to score is 5.50 Bet Now
Chelsea are yet to fail to score a goal this season and West Ham have netted six in their last three in all competitions.
However, it is West Ham’s record against Chelsea that makes this bet worthwhile, West Ham have won two, lost two and drawn two of their last six with the Blues meaning there is literally nothing to split them in this game.
- Chelsea to score a penalty is 5.00 Bet Now
Perhaps a little left field this bet but the Blues have already netted three times from the spot this season which is more than anyone else.
A London derby is likely to be a fiery affair meaning penalties cannot be ruled out.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
As mentioned above, despite West Ham woes in recent seasons, when it comes to playing Chelsea, the Hammers raise their game.
Last season West Ham took four points from Chelsea boasting a 1-0 victory at the London Stadium as well as snatching a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.
However, Chelsea did get the better of West Ham in the 2016/17 by doing the league double over them even if the Hammers at least recorded a 2-1 League Cup win that season.
In total, West Ham have beaten Chelsea 40 times, lost 49 times with 21 draws recorded between the two.
- Since the beginning of 2018, West Ham attacker Marko Arnautovic has been involved in sixteen goals (scored nine and seven assists).
- West Ham’s victory over Everton last time out halted a run of four successive defeats.
- It is the fourth time Chelsea come into their sixth game of a league season having won their opening five games.
- Chelsea has scored more penalties than anyone else this season with three.
- The first ever meeting between the two came in 1923 when the pair played out a 0-0.