Villarreal vs Spartak Moskva: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Thursday, December 13th, 2018, 11:25 pm
Estadio de la Cerámic
Villarreal 2 – 0 Spartak Moskva
There’s everything to play for as Villarreal welcome Spartak to Spain to decide who progresses to the next round.
Villarreal know that just a draw would see them through – and a win would guarantee that they progress as group winners. Still unbeaten in the Europa League this season, the Spanish side have scored seven goals in their two home matches and will hope that the Russian side are unable to get a vital away victory.
Spartak lie bottom of Group G going into this match but could end up qualifying for the next round if they win in Villarreal. The Russian side’s results have been all over the place in this campaign and thought they had won the reverse fixture after scoring three goals in the last 10 minutes – only for Villarreal to grab a point deep into injury time.
Villarreal’s last two group games have ended in scoreless draws and although that would be enough for them to qualify for the round of 32 they will want to top the group in the hope of getting a kinder draw in the next round. Top betting sites will favour a home victory but the Russian side will push them all the way.
Spartak have only just started to slow down a terrible run of form that saw them win just one of nine Russian Premier League games. The top of their domestic league is very tight however and progression in Europe could give them confidence at home. Villarreal are not having the best of seasons but should narrowly win here – 2-1 to the home side.
- Total goals over 2.5 1.72 – BET NOW
It is hard to see whether this game will have lots of goals or not many at all as Villarreal’s campaign has been decidedly mixed. Over 2.5 seems to be the best option for a final group match.
- Spartak Moscow to score 10.00 BET NOW
Spartak have been involved in some high scoring affairs in this group and should really go for it knowing that they need to win to go through.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Spartak have never beaten Villarreal in three attempts – but two of those matches have ended in draws.
- If Villarreal are successful in going through to the next round it will be a record seventh time the Spanish side have qualified from the Europa League group stage.
- Spartak have played Spanish opposition in European competition on 31 occasions and have never yet drawn a game.
- Villarreal enjoy playing Russian opposition – in three games they have won every time, most recently against Zenit St Petersburg in the 2007/08 UEFA Cup.
- Spartak have won only once in their last 15 European matches away from home – and that includes a 7-0 thrashing at the hands of Liverpool in last season’s Champions League.