Today’s Predictions : Egypt Vs Uruguay
Egypt 0 – 1 Uruguay
The second match of the FIFA World Cup 2018 is between the first African nation to ever qualify for the World Cup Egypt, and the first nation to ever win the World Cup Uruguay.
- Date : 15th June 2018
- Time : 5:30 PM (IST)
- Venue : Ekaterinburg Stadium
In the second match of a tricky group also containing the hosts Russia and the unpredictable Saudi Arabia, a wounded Egyptian side would be looking to prove a point against South American heavyweights Uruguay.
FIFA World Cup Qualification
Egypt were dominant during the CAF qualification rounds, topping a tough group containing Congo, Ghana and Uganda. Despite their dominance, they required a last gasp penalty from their talisman Mohamed Salah to confirm their qualification for the World Cup for the first time since 1990.
Uruguay’s sharpshooter Edinson Cavani was on fire during the CONMEBOL qualifiers, as he was the highest scorer in South America. However, despite an impressive start containing a huge 3-0 win against Chile, their campaign was in danger with 3 defeats in a row, before a formation change and the return of Luis Suarez from injury ensured they qualified comfortably in the end, finishing second behind Brazil.
Egypt haven’t been in the best of forms recently, with not a single win in their last 5 matches. More worryingly, they managed to score just 3 goals in those matches, and will most likely struggle to score without Mohamed Salah’s presence, who is expected to miss this game due to injury.
Uruguay have been in decent form in recent times. With 3 wins and 2 draws in their last 6 matches, the South Americans look to be in good shape heading in to this tournament. The team seems to have regrouped at the right time and would be hoping for a good showing in Russia.
Head To Head Record
These two nations have faced off just once before, in a friendly back in 2006 where Uruguay won 2-0.
The major headline dominating the Egyptian news over the past month has been Mohamed Salah’s shoulder injury that forced him to be substituted in the UEFA Champions League final last month. Sergio Ramos’ rough challenge left the whole African country biting their nails, hoping for him to be fit in time to play at least some part in this tournament, though he is expected sit out for the first game.
Uruguay do not have any significant injuries as such, and will be hoping to keep Diego Godin and Luis Suarez fit for the entire campaign.
Players To Watch Out For
Egypt’s main attacking threat comes, unsurprisingly from their forward Mohamed Salah, who had a record breaking season with Liverpool, scoring a mammoth 45 goals in all competitions and also winning the PFA Player Of The Year award. Captain Essam El-Hadard, 45, is set to be the oldest player in FIFA World Cup history, and excelled in goal during the qualification process.
Uruguay’s world class strike force will again be expected to fire them to the final stages of the tournament, just like Diego Forlan did at the 2010 World Cup. Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani form arguably the strongest striker-pairing in the world, and the presence of Diego Godin, one of the best defenders in the world, means that this side does have the quality to challenge any nation at the tournament.
Egypt Vs Uruguay Key Statistics
- Uruguay are the heavy favourites to win this clash against Egypt, with the odds stacked heavily against the Africans.
- Egypt are playing their first World Cup since 1990, and without Salah simply do not possess enough firepower to threaten the South Americans, who finished 3rd in the tournament as recently as 2010.
- Egypt have not won a single match in more than a year, and things are not looking very positive for them heading into this tournament either.
- Uruguay are boosted by the fact that all of their 23 players are fully fit with no injury scares. Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani both are coming on the back of prolific seasons for their clubs, and are the favourites in the ‘to score’ market.
- Considering the attacking talent that Uruguay possess, betting on the above 2.5 goals market seems like a good option, and we would highly recommend this market for this particular fixture.
- Uruguay would be looking to get off their campaign to a good start with a comprehensive victory in this rather unbalanced contest.
While Egypt has often been praised for raising their game at the big stage, they will most probably be without the inspirational Salah, and for that reason it is hard to see them taking anything away from this game. We expect Uruguay to take advantage of their weakened opponents.
Our Predicted Scoreline : Egypt 0 – 3 Uruguay.