Southampton vs Chelsea: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Sunday, October 7, 2018 @7:45 PM
St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton
Southampton 0 – 3 Chelsea
After the nervous end to last season Mark Hughes has not been able to get Southampton out of their slump and the visit of Chelsea will worry the St Mary’s faithful.
Southampton’s flirt with relegation last season came as a surprise to many as the south coast club had seemed to become a Premier League regular. This campaign has not started off too brightly though and if the Saints don’t want to be scrapping for points come the end of the season they need to get some victories on board now.
Only a late wonder strike from Daniel Sturridge kept the three points from Chelsea in their last league match at home to Liverpool and although they were mostly second best in that game they will feel that they enough to get the victory in this one.
The Saints are yet to win at home this season and have just the draws against Burnley and Brighton – as well as the away win at Crystal Palace – to show for their endeavours. They played some nice football in the defeat to Wolves but lacked the killer instinct to take the game. They will need to find that much needed aggression before too long.
Even when they are not at their best Chelsea can always count on the brilliance of Eden Hazard to get them through. The Belgian captain has repeated his desire to move away from the Stamford Bridge club – with a move to Spain the most likely – so Maurizio Sarri should get as much out of him while he can and Hazard can inspire a 3-0 triumph.
- Chelsea to win to nil 2.37 – Bet Now
Southampton have not scored in their last two Premier League matches and when Chelsea turn it on they are virtually unstoppable. An away victory is on the cards and it is difficult to see Southampton getting on the score sheet.
- Total goals over 2.5 1.80 – Bet Now
In their first five games of the season Chelsea scored, on average, almost three goals a game. They may have slowed down in the last two matches but they will be looking to get back on goal scoring form in this one.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Chelsea have done the double over Southampton for the last two seasons and the Saints haven’t recorded a win in this fixture since the 2012-2013 season.
- Eden Hazard is the top goal scorer in the Premier League so far this season with six. The entire Southampton team have only scored that amount.
- Southampton have just one win to their name this season – a record they share with Brighton, Burnley and Fulham.
- Jorginho has completed the most passes in the league this season – but there are also three other Chelsea players in the top 10.
- Danny Ings, on loan at Southampton from Liverpool, actually started as a youth team player at the club but was released. He was born nearby and has always been a Southampton fan.