Schalke vs Lokomotiv Moskva: Predictions, Betting Tips and Odds
Tuesday, December 11th 2018, @11:25 pm
Arena AufSchalke, Gelsenkirchen
Schalke 1 – 0 Lokomotiv Moskva
Second place is assured for German side Schalke whilst Russian Champions Lokomotiv still harbour hopes of snatching third place and the Europa League.
It has been a disappointing Champions League campaign for Lokomotiv head coach Yuri Semin with his side bottom of group D as the final round of matches play out.
However, Schalke cannot move from second place no matter what happens and with an away trip to Augsburg in the Bundesliga just days after this tie, there is little reason for young head coach Domenico Tedesco to risk a number of first team players.
Lokomotiv must win, and hope Galatasaray lose to Porto in order to end the group in third and continue their European adventure albeit in the Europa League, but much depends on the team Tedesco decides to play.
Lokomotiv have not won a football away game since the end of October whilst losing both of their Champions League away group games this season.
That said, Schalke have nothing to play for whilst Lokomotiv do and that makes them backable in this game.
That is because Lokomotiv have scored only one goal less than Schalke in the group stage despite their defence letting them down.
However, the Moscow outfit appear to have tidied up their back line of late with just one goal conceded in their last three prior to the visit of Orenburg making a Lokomotiv 2-1 win worth a punt as the Russians have everything to play for.
- Lokomotiv Moscow to win and both teams to score 7.50 – BET NOW
Lokomotiv have everything to play for with a Europa League place up for grabs whilst Schalke cannot move from second no matter the outcome and after a 2-0 win over Galatasaray in their last Champions League outing and a likely weakened Schalke side, backing Lokomotiv to win is the only way to go.
- Over 2.5 goals 2.00 – BET NOW
Schalke have only failed to score in one of their five Champions League group games this season while Lokomotiv have netted all four of their Champions League group goals in their last three games making over 2.5 goals in the game a top pick with the betting sites for value.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Schalke took all three points when the pair met in the Russian capital back at the beginning of October.
American midfielder Weston McKennie struck in the 88th minute to punish a lack of concentration by the Russian league defending champions and leave Schalke ensured of progression with eight points.
- Schalke have won only two of their last seven Champions League games in Gelsenkirchen having drawn two and lost three.
- Lokomotiv’s victory over Galatasaray last time out ended a run of six straight European defeats for the club.
- Lokomotiv managed to progress from the group stages on their last two Champions League campaigns.
- Schalke’s have reached the last sixteen in their last three Champions League campaigns.
- Weston McKennie scored an 88th minute winner in Moscow for Schalke in October to give the Germans all three points.