Roma vs Viktoria Plzen: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018, 01:30 AM
Stadio Olimpico Rome
Roma 5 – 0 Viktoria Plzen
Roma look to bounce back after their thrashing from Real Madrid and welcome Plzen to the Stadio Olimpico.
Roma were the first team in European competition to see how Real Madrid would get on without Cristiano Ronaldo – and they found that the Spanish side were doing just fine. They lost 3-0 in a comprehensive defeat that suggests that the Italian side will need to do much more to emulate last season’s achievements.
Plzen will know that if they are to get anything from this Champions League group then they need to win their home games – and being 2-0 up at half time in the opener against CSKA Moscow was just what the club wanted. But the Russian side came back in the second half – scoring an equaliser in injury time – and now the Czech champions face a daunting trip to the Eternal City.
It has been a terrible start to the season for Roma who just haven’t got going in Serie A and suffered an embarrassing defeat at the hands of Real Madrid in the group opener. They lost some important players in the summer and have not looked the same side in this campaign so far.
Viktoria Plzen have won the Czech league five times in the last eight years and have started brightly this season, only dropping points in the league in the last few games. They would have hoped to get three points in their first group game and may see this match as a damage limitation exercise. Roma should finally kick into gear and win this 2-0.
- Total goals over 2.5 1.53 BET NOW
Roma have had some difficulty finding the net this season but know that they absolutely have to get all three points against Plzen. Expect there to be a few goals in this one.
- Roma to win by two goals 4.00 BET NOW
Although it is tempting to think that Roma will run riot against the Czech side they have struggled in the final third of the pitch and whereas a victory is surely on the cards, the size of the win might not be what some people will be expecting.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two sides met each other in the 2016-17 Europa League group stage where the Italian side won 4-1 at home and drew 1-1 in the Czech Republic.
- Roma famously came back from 4-1 in their quarter final first leg last season against Barcelona to dramatically win the second leg 3-0 and go through to the semi finals on the away goal rule.
- Viktoria Plzen have never made it out of the group stage in the Champions League – although they have made it to the Europa League round of 16 on three occasions.
- Roma have made the final of a UEFA competition on two occasions losing both – against Liverpool in the 1984 European Cup and Inter Milan in the 1991 UEFA Cup.
- Plzen have a fairly good record against Italian opposition given the superiority of Serie A to the Czech league. In six matches they have won two, drawn two and lost two – the highlight being knocking Napoli out of the Europa League in 2013.