Roma vs CSKA Moskva: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018, 12:30 AM
Stadio Olimpico Rome
Roma 3 – 0 CSKA Moskva
These two teams were touted to battle it out for second when the groups were drawn, that’s still likely, but there could actually be more at stake.
Champions League group G is already looking a lot tighter than expected after CSKA Moscow’s shock matchday two victory against current holders Real Madrid.
After seeing Real’s performance, along with their lacklustre league form, both teams may be pondering the possibility of them finishing above Los Blancos in this group.
This morphs the match into a must-win for Roma if they are hoping to qualify but if CSKA manage to snag a win at the Stadio Olimpico, they could be dreaming of topping the group.
CSKA could be considered a ‘classical’ Eastern European side, they’re focused on a strong defensive game, as illustrated by conceding just five goals in 10 games this league season whilst Real Madrid drew blanks against them.
Roma’s hand will be twisted into going on the offensive from the get go. However, this may suit Eusebio di Francesco’s side who at the best of times have lacked the courage and confidence needed to take the initiative in games.
This fixture will be closer than expected but home advantage will prevail, 2-1.
- Both teams to score 1.95 – BET NOW
Roma boast the Champions League’s joint top scorer this season in Edin Dzeko and he’s fancied to get on the score sheet, but the Italians don’t seem likely to keep a clean sheet either.
- Roma to win and both teams to score 3.00 – BET NOW
Russian teams notoriously don’t travel well and Roma’s superior quality should be enough to see them through in this one. However, don’t count out Roma conceding at least one, they’re shaky defensively and there’s been over 2.5 goals in each of their last six Champions League games.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Roma and CSKA have just twice previously, in the Champions League no less and the Giallorossi are unbeaten in both encounters. Their first ever meeting was a 5-1 thrashing for a Rudi Garcia led Roma, with the reverse fixture being a 1-1 draw thanks to a 93rd minute equaliser from CSKA defender Vasili Berezutski.
- Only three of the players that featured in this fixture for Roma four years ago are still at the club. Kostas Manolas, Alessandro Florenzi and Daniele de Rossi.
- CSKA striker Fedor Chalov could be considered Russia’s answer to Kylian Mbappe, topping the Russian Premier League scoring charts at just 20 years old with seven goals and one in the Champions League.
- Viktor Goncharenko’s side could be considered the most aggressive in the Champions League, picking up seven yellows and one red card in two games.
- Roma have had the fifth most shots per game in the Champions League this season, with 17.5.