Plzen vs Roma: Predictions, Betting Tips and Odds
Wednesday, December 12th 2018, @23:25
Štruncovy Sady Stadion, Plzen
Plzen 2 – 1 Roma
After Real Madrid walked away from the Stadio Olimpico with a 2-0 victory, the match against Viktoria Plzen has lost a lot of value, but it could still be a vital one for the Czech side.
The way Group G unfolded may feel like a lost opportunity for Roma. With CSKA Moscow snatching a draw against Real Madrid on match day one, it felt as though the Giallorossi could potentially top the group.
However, it’s always going to be tough in football when you lose both games against the front runner to finish top. Now in the last group game, they face a dead rubber situation in which they can’t finish top or drop down to the Europa league.
Viktoria Plzen on the contrary have it all to play for. As long as CSKA don’t better Plzen’s result, the Czech side will go through to the Europa League knockouts despite conceding a whopping 15 goals in the competition, the most amongst all group stage teams.
Working in their favour may be the fact Eusebio Di Francesco may field a weakened side. However, a weakened side should still be able to do the job, with rotational players wanting to impress. 2-1 Roma.
- Over 2.5 goals 1.80 – BET NOW
There have been over 2.5 goals in Viktoria Plzen’s last 8 Champions League games. Of course the Czech side are conceding the majority of those goals but Roma’s shaky defense might give up one. Whichever way it goes, 2.5 goals will most likely be surpassed.
- Viktoria Plzen to win 2.60 – BET NOW
An eyebrow raising bet at a first glance but a few factors could pull it in Plzen’s favour. With Roma securing second and unable to finish in 1st, you can expect a weakened side from Di Francesco. Couple that with this being a game that the hosts may crucially need a result from depending on the CSKA Moscow – Real Madrid score line, it could tip their way. Definitely worth a thought.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
In competitive settings, Viktoria Plzen and Roma have met on three previous occasions, including the Giaollorossi’s 5-0 rout at the Stadio Olimpico just a few weeks ago.
The other two meetings came in the 2016/17 Europa League group stages, where Roma won 4-1 at home thanks to a hat-trick from Edin Dzeko. It was even spoils back in the Czech Republic, with Diego Perotti and Marek Bakos getting the goals.
- Viktoria Plzen have conceded the joint most goals in the Champions League this season, along with Shakhtar Donetsk, with both clubs conceding 15 – something to keep in mind when searching betting sites for goal-related bets.
- Roma average the joint-third most shots in the competition with 17.8, behind only Barcelona and Real Madrid.
- Giallorossi striker Edin Dzeko is the second highest top scorer with 5, trailing behind both Lionel Messi and Robert Lewandowski with six.
- No player has played more long balls than Plzen goalkeeper Ales Hruska with a whopping 14 hoofs up field.