Middlesbrough vs Burton: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Wednesday 19 December 2018, 1:15 Am
Middlesbrough 0 – 1 Burton
Middlesbrough welcome the lowest ranked side left in the competition to the Riverside Stadium for this quarter final match up.
Tony Pulis saw his side knock out Premier League Crystal Palace in the last round in a well disciplined display in which the visitors rarely looked troubling the Boro defence. Even with a number of changes the north east side always looked in control and never looked back after the winner was scored just before the break. Further changes will be made for the visit of Burton and Pulis will hope that his brand of well drilled football is too much for the League One side.
Nigel Clough’s side despatched Nottingham Forest – the club he used to play for – in the last round and fully deserved the victory. The division difference between the two did not play a factor and Aitor Karanka, the Forest boss, must be ruing missing the chance to make it to the quarter finals.
Middlesbrough’s main focus will be on getting back into the Premier League – and their form this year suggests that they may have a very good chance of making it. They currently sit in the play off spots and have led the division already this season. The EFL Cup should serve as a bonus to the Teessiders and the betting sites will heavily favour them.
Burton have never made it this far in the competition but had already knocked out Aston Villa and Burnley before beating Forest in the last round. It would seem a tall task for the Brewers to eliminate another higher ranked club and depending on the side Middlesbrough put out they could end up winning this 3-0.
- Middlesbrough to win to nil 1.90 – BET NOW
Burton have done tremendously well to get this far but Middlesbrough will be on top form knowing that the semi final is just one victory away.
- Britt Assombalonga to score at anytime 14.00 – BET NOW
The DR Congo striker scored his first ever goals for Middlesbrough in a 2-0 victory over Burton Albion – and if he gets the chance to fire his side into the semi finals he is a good bet to take it.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Middlesbrough took four points off of Burton in the Championship last season and have only ever lost one match between the two – an FA Cup tie in 2011.
- Middlesbrough have only lost two matches at home this season – to Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa, both clubs that were knocked out of the EFL Cup by Burton.
- Burton Albion have won their last three League Cup matches against teams from a higher division.
- Middlesbrough have needed to hold their nerve in a penalty shoot out in two of the four EFL Cup ties they have played this season.
- Burton Albion manager Nigel Clough reached the last four of the League Cup when he was manager of Sheffield United in 2015.