Manchester City vs Rotherham United: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Sunday 6 January 2019, 7:30 pm
City of Manchester Stadium
Manchester City 7 – 0 Rotherham United
Rotherham landed the plum FA Cup third round draw with their first ever trip to the Etihad Stadium to take on Premier League champions Manchester City.
Championship strugglers get to take their mind off their survival battle for 90 minutes at least as manager Paul Warne gets the rare chance to pit his wits against Pep Guardiola in a thrilling FA Cup draw for the underdogs.
However, underdogs are exactly what the Millers will be and rightly so.
Rotherham have never beaten Manchester City in nine senior team previous attempts and the Citizens have also not lost a home FA Cup tie since a defeat to Middlesbrough in January 2015.
The gulf in quality is simply undeniable but the Millers have some hope and that lies in Guardiola playing a plethora of youth in a game he will expect his side to breeze through.
Too add further weight to the inevitable home win, the Millers have not won an FA Cup game since 2013 whilst conceding at least two in all of their last five FA Cup losses.
Expect a weakened City side but expect the win with the home side coming through 3-0 allowing Rotherham to focus on the more important fight for survival in the second tier.
- Manchester City to win with a 3-goal margin
One of the best ways to get value with popular betting sites is in the margin betting.
The Millers have not kept a clean sheet since the 23rd October whilst City have been averaging 3.5 goals per home game in the Premier League.
- City to win and keep a clean sheet
Rotherham have failed to score in two of their last three Championship games (prior to the New Year’s Day fixtures) with City not losing a home FA Cup tie since 2015.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Although the records books show that the pair met at Rotherham’s New York Stadium in 2017, that was against Manchester City U21s in a Football League Trophy match (City won 4-2 on penalties).
The pair have met in senior action a total of 10 times. most recently in a Division One game in 2002. when a 1-1 draw was played out.
Rotherham have never beaten Manchester City with the Citizens winning seven and drawing three since they first met in Division Two action in 1963.
- Rotherham have never beaten Manchester City in ten previous senior side meetings.
- The pair have met twice before in the FA Cup in 1979 after a 0-0 was played out at City, the return leg saw the Manchester club run out 4-2 winners in Rotherham.
- Manchester City have not lost a home FA Cup game since January 2015 (Middlesbrough were the victors).
- Rotherham have not won an FA Cup tie since November 2013 (a run of five straight defeats).
- Rotherham have never gone further than the fifth round of the FA Cup whilst City have won the competition five times.