Man City vs Burton Albion: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Thursday, January 10th, 1:15 am
Semi-final, Leg 1 of 2
City of Manchester Stadium
Man City 9 – 0 Burton
Burton face their stiffest challenge yet as they travel to the Etihad Stadium to take on Premier League champions Manchester City in the first leg of their EFL Cup semi final.
Manchester City will have their minds on other competitions but with the chance to pick up an early piece of silverware they will be looking to get the job done in the first leg to ease their passage to Wembley. Pep Guardiola fielded a much-changed side for their quarter final victory over Leicester and will rotate his squad once again for this one.
Burton have struggled in League One this season after being relegated from the Championship – but have found their form in the EFL Cup, knocking out a string of Championship and Premier League sides. Sports betting sites will heavily favour Manchester City at home but the Brewers have caused upsets in every round so far so will hope that form can continue.
City needed penalties to see off Leicester in the last round but will be thinking that a convincing victory at home in the first leg here will dispel any chances of nerves going into the second leg at the Pirelli Stadium in a couple of weeks time. The Premier League side should have far too much firepower for Burton and a big win could be on the cards.
Although most of Burton’s victories in the EFL Cup have come at home this season they did beat Middlesbrough away in the last round and will believe anything is possible, having already knocked out Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest and Burnley. City will be too strong however and a 4-0 home win is not out of the question.
- Total goals over 3.5
The long odds will be on a Burton win but assuming that is not going to happen, there is more chance of a home win by quite a margin.
- Manchester City to win by four or more goals
At this stage the chance to win a trophy becomes very real for the players so they will be doing everything they can to ensure that they play in the final – expect a big win for City.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two sides have never played each other.
- The last time Manchester City lost a match in the League Cup was back in October 2016 when they were beaten 1-0 by their city rivals, Manchester United.
- Considering that they were still playing non league football until 2009 it is unsurprising that Burton have only ever won one league title and have never made it this far in a cup competition before.
- Manchester City have won three of the last five League Cup finals – and have lifted the trophy on five occasions in all.
- Burton Albion are the first club from the third tier to reach the semi final since Sheffield United in 2015 – they were also managed by current Brewers boss Nigel Clough.