Liverpool vs Crvena Zvezda: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Wednesday, October 25th, 2018, 12:30 AM
Liverpool 4 – 0 Crvena zvezda
With a fairly open group Jürgen Klopp will be hoping that the Anfield crowd will help his side get the three points.
Liverpool may have dominated Paris Saint-Germain in their opening match but only a stoppage time Roberto Firmino goal gave them the victory – and an unimpressive display in Naples means that they must get all three points in their home fixtures to give themselves a chance of getting out of the group.
Crvena Zvezda – or Red Star Belgrade as they are more commonly known – have made the group stage for the first time in the Champions League era and are not expected to progress from a very tough group. But the draw at home to Napoli would have given them hope before the crushing 6-1 defeat at the hands of PSG.
Liverpool have started incredibly well in the Premier League, winning their first five matches. A few points have been dropped since then but they are looking much more of a cohesive team this season and even the relatively poor form of Mo Salah has not stopped them from doing well. The defeat to Napoli was curiously devoid of passion though and they will need to rediscover that to finish in the top two in this group.
Red Star are the current Serbian champions and they have started this season in electrifying style, winning their first eight matches and only dropping points away to arch rivals Partizan. They will hope that their imposing crowd will create a hostile atmosphere in Belgrade but may well struggle away from home. Liverpool should win this fairly easily – 3-0 could be the final result.
- Total goals over 4.5 2.37 – BET NOW
Liverpool will be heavily fancied to pick up all three points at Anfield but it is the margin of victory that will differ opinion. If Klopp’s men are on form this match could have a lot of goals in it.
- Liverpool to win to nil 1.50 – BET NOW
Liverpool have let in goals in both group matches so far but Red Star were woeful in Paris and could have trouble finding the net at Anfield.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two have only been drawn together once before when Red Star beat Liverpool 4-2 on aggregate in the European Cup in 1973.
- Even with the six goals they let in against PSG, Red Star do not have the worst defence in the Champions League group stage so far. That honour goes to Viktoria Plzen who have drawn 2-2 and lost 5-0 in their two games.
- Half of all the goals scored in Liverpool’s Champions League matches this season have come in the last ten minutes of the match.
- Red Star first played English opposition in their second ever European campaign, losing on aggregate to Manchester United in the quarter final of the 1958 European Cup. In total they have won six and drawn six of 17 ties against English sides.
- Liverpool have won two European titles since they last lifted the league trophy in England – the 2001 UEFA Cup and the Champions League in 2005.