Leverkusen vs Zürich: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Friday, November 9th, 2018, 1:30 am
Leverkusen 1 – 0 Zürich
Leverkusen welcome group leaders Zurich to the BayArena hoping to put their disappointing Bundesliga form behind them.
Leverkusen’s fifth place finish in the Bundesliga last season must seem a long time ago for their fans and players as things have been much different this campaign. Although results have improved since their three successive defeats at the start of the season, last week’s 4-1 defeat at home to Hoffenheim will not have been the confidence booster that coach Heiko Herrlich would have had in mind.
Zurich finished 35 points off the top of the Swiss Super League last season and still qualified for Europe. Domestically it has been more of the same this season but they have started brightly in this competition and could go through if they win in Germany or the other match in the group ends in a draw.
Bayer Leverkusen will be hoping that an extended run in the Europa League may rub off on their Bundesliga campaign. Their 100% record was only ended in Zurich last time out and the German side will feel that they can repay the compliment on their home turf.
A draw for the Swiss side would not be a terrible result with Ludogorets Razgrad and AEK Larnaca already virtually eliminated having only picked up a point apiece in their first three games. Zurich may see a draw in Germany as the perfect springboard for picking up the necessary points for qualification in their remaining matches. But Leverkusen will want a win in front of their home fans and could win this 3-1.
- Total goals over 3.5 2.10 – BET NOW
These two shared five goals last time out and Leverkusen have scored nine and let in seven in just three games. There should be goals in this one.
- Both teams to score 1.75 – BET NOW
Zurich may not have recorded as many high scoring games as their hosts so far but they have found the net in each of their three matches.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Before the reverse fixture a couple of weeks ago these two sides had only met once before – Leverkusen winning 5-0 away from home in a UEFA Cup match in 2007.
- Although Zurich have won every game in Europe so far this season they have never won a match in Germany.
- It’s not just in the Europa League where Leverkusen are involved in high scoring dramas. In their last three Bundesliga matches there have been 17 goals scored.
- FC Zurich have not progressed from their group in any European competition since the 2007/08 season when they lost to Hamburg in the UEFA Cup round of 32.
- Bayer Leverkusen have tasted European success before, winning the UEFA Cup in 1988. They knocked out Barcelona in the quarter finals.