India vs West Indies 1st Test – Highlights and Match Analysis
India vs West Indies 1st Test turned out to be a one-sided match with India outplaying West Indies in all aspects of the game. While the betting odds for India’s win stayed low throughout and the odds for West Indies went higher and higher with every session of play.
India 1st Innings
India won the toss and chose to bat first. West Indies delivered an early blow to India dismissing KL Rahul for 0. The debutant Prithvi Shaw played exceptionally well to score his maiden Test hundred on debut.
He scored 134 runs with 19 fours.
Cheteshwar Pujara scored a half century and built a 206-runs partnership with Prithvi Shaw for the 2nd wicket. India lost their 2nd wicket when Pujara was caught behind on a delivery from Lewis.
India were 209-2 when Virat Kohli walked in to bat at number 4. By this time, one of our prediction had come true. We had predicted Pujara to score over 41 runs and the odds for that selection were 1.83.
Prithvi Shaw was out caught and bowled by Bishoo few overs after Pujara’s dismissal. Following the dismissal, Ajinkya Rahane and Virat Kohli put together 105 runs for the 4th wicket.
Kohli also crossed 50 runs as we had predicted in our India vs West Indies 1st Test betting tips post. The odds for Kohli to score over 49 runs were set at 1.83 before the innings started.
Ajinkya Rahane was dismissed by Chase on 41 out caught behind. The 100 -run partnership between Kohli and Rahane ended. But it wasn’t over yet.
Rishabh Pant, the wicket-keeper batsman, along with Kohli played a fine innings and put together another 133 runs for the 5th wicket.
During this partnership, Virat Kohli scored his hundred and the total runs scored by Kohli, Pujara and KL Rahul crossed 200 despite Rahul scoring 0.
We had discussed the selection in #betyourway market, where the odds for Kohli, Pujara and KL Rahul to score combined 200+ were 3.00.
And we had predicted that the combined score of these 3 batsmen will be 200+.
Bishoo ended the 133 runs partnership with Pant’s wicket. Rishabh Pant scored 92 off 84 balls with 8 fours and 4 sixes. There was another 50-run stand between Kohli and Jadeja for the 6th wicket.
Kohli scored 139 runs off 230 balls with 10 fours in his innings. Ravindra Jadeja batting at number 7 reached his maiden hundred with 5 fours and 5 sixes.
India posted a massive total of 649-9 and as Jadeja reached his hundred, the skipper Kohli declared India’s 1st innings.
West Indies 1st Innings
When the West Indies openers came out to bat, they were in for a shock as Mohammad Shami picked his 1st wicket in the innings very early. Shami dismissed the skipper Brathwaite for 2.
In his next over, Shami got Powell out lbw and West Indies were 2 wickets down for 7 runs.
West Indies lost wickets regularly thereafter and was all out for 181. Chase was the top batsman with 53 runs and he built a 73-run partnership with Keemo Paul who scored 47 runs.
R Ashwin picked 4 wickets, Shami picked 2, Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav and Umesh Yadav picked 1 wicket each.
West Indies 2nd Innings
Following on, West Indies repeated what they did in the 1st Innings. Brathwaite was dismissed early for just 10 runs.
Here are some of the #betyourway markets which had great odds in the 2nd innings –
- Ravi Ashwin to take 10 or More Wickets had the odds of 4.00. The chances of this outcome were low as Ashwin had picked 4 wickets in the 1st innings and he would have to pick 6 or more in the 2nd for this outcome.
- With Jadeja, Kuldeep turning the ball well and troubling the West Indies batsman, it was less likely for Ashwin to pick the major share of wickets himself.
- Either Hope or Powell to score a century 2nd innings had the odds of 5.00. It was clear that the odds were this high because it was least likely for either of these batsmen to score a century.
- Powell did score a half century though. He was out for 83 off 93 balls with 8 fours and 4 sixes.
- One market where you bettors could have won great returns was West Indies top batsman 2nd Innings.
- The odds for Kieran Powell were set at 2.25 at the start of his innings. As Powell went on playing well and scoring more runs, the odds for him to be the top batsman 2nd innings dropped down to 1.40 when Powell was playing on 45 off 50.
- The Man of the Match odds changed a lot during the course of the game and were higher for Prithvi Shaw when it seemed Jadeja could be an option too as he had played well to score a hundred and pick 4 wickets in the Test match.
- The odds for Prithvi Shaw to be the Man of the Match were 1.61 on the 3rd day of the Test when it looked West Indies would be all out in their 2nd innings and the match will end.
- Kuldeep Yadav picked 5 for 57 in the 2nd innings along with Jadeja who picked 3 for 35.
- West Indies were all out for 196 in the second innings and India won the 1st Test by an innings and 272 runs.
Prithvi Shaw was awarded Man of the Match.
India leads the 2-match series 1-0. Check out our other cricket predictions from Pakistan vs Australia 1st Test and follow our highlights for updates on the odds and match stats and analysis.