Benfica vs AEK: Predictions, Betting Tips and Odds
Thursday, December 13th 2018, @1:30 am
Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica, Lisbon
Benfica 1 – 0 AEK
A disappointing Champions League campaign comes to a close for AEK as they travel to Lisbon to face Benfica.
Benfica are already assured of a Europa League place and will know that in a group with Bayern Munich and Ajax it was always going to be difficult to progress. Continuing their European season will be a welcome consolation and they should be able to finish off their Champions League group matches with a victory.
This group was always going to be tough for AEK. Third place was probably the best that they could have hoped for but losing every single game will still disappoint the players and fans of the Athens club. They will do all they can to go out on a high but even that may be too much for them away from home.
Benfica’s only victory in the group was against AEK in Athens – although they did manage a draw at home with Ajax on match day four. The Portuguese club have found it hard to score many goals in this campaign so a morale boosting performance against the weakest club in the group will be a good way for the Eagles to sign off.
AEK’s only Champions League goals this season came in the 3-2 defeat at home to Benfica so that may give them some confidence going into this match. They actually came back from two goals down in that match before the visitors grabbed a winner 15 minutes from time. Benfica at home should be too strong for AEK however. This could end in a 2-0 win for the Lisbon side.
- Benfica to win to nil 1.90 – BET NOW
AEK have only scored two goals in five Champions League matches so Benfica should be able to win this fairly convincingly. The betting sites will have short odds for a home victory so try a bet on a clean sheet for the Benfica keeper.
- Benfica to win 2-0 4.00 – BET NOW
AEK have lost the last three group games by the same 2-0 scoreline. The Greek side’s football has not been good throughout so that result may well happen once again.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Before this season these two sides had only ever met on two occasions – in the Europa League in 2009. They both won their home games that season.
- Benfica had already defeated Greek opposition to get to the group stage. They beat PAOK 5-2 on aggregate in the play off round.
- AEK are the only side that have failed to pick up a single point in this season’s Champions League.
- Benfica will know how AEK are feeling – they failed to win a game last season and became only the 20th side to ever go through an entire group stage without picking up a point.
- This is AEK’s fifth time in the Champions League and every campaign has ended at the group stage.