Bayer Leverkusen vs AEK Larnaca: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Thursday, October 5th, 2018, 12:25 AM
Bayer Leverkusen 4 – 2 AEK Larnaca
Match day two kicks off with Heiko Herrlich’s Bayer Leverkusen looking to capitalise on some much needed recent good form.
Leverkusen made a terrible start to the season, losing their first three games and not looking like the team that was narrowly squeezed out of a Champions League spot last season. Form has picked up since then and the German team will be confident of another three points in this Europa League fixture.
AEK lost their opening group stage match narrowly to FC Zurich but they are the weakest team on paper and would do very well just to get a few points in this Europa League campaign.
Bayer Leverkusen started off their Europa League campaign with a 3-2 away win against Ludogorets Razgrad. The Bulgarian side had actually gone into a 2-0 lead before two goals from Kai Havertz and another from Isaac Kiese Thelin gave the Bundesliga men the victory.
This is only the second time that AEK have made it to the group stage of the Europa League. Back in the 2011/12 season they finished bottom of Group J with only one win against Maccabi Haifi to show for their troubles.
- Bayer Leverkusen to win to nil 2.10 BET NOW
Although Leverkusen have not looked as impressive this season as they did last year this game is surely theirs for the taking. AEK are the minnows of the group and the Bundesliga side will want to show their superiority.
- Total goals over 3.5 2.50 BET NOW
If the scoring talents of Kevin Volland and Leon Bailey are on show at the BayArena then AEK could be in for a long night – especially if Julian Brandt decides to get in on the action as well.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two sides have never met but AEK have played German opposition in European competition before – they lost 5-0 and then drew 0-0 with Schalke in the 2011/12 Europa League.
- Bayer Leverkusen’s only European triumph came in the forerunner to the Europa League – the UEFA Cup. They beat Espanyol on penalties after coming back from 3-0 down in the first leg to draw 3-3 on aggregate.
- AEK had already come through three rounds of qualifiers this season before they even started their Europa League group matches. They saw off the challenges of Dundalk, Sturm Graz and AS Trencin – scoring 15 goals in the process.
- Bayer have twins who play in their first eleven – Sven and Lars Bender. They have both played for Germany as well and won gold at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
- Eight of AEK’s first team squad are Spanish nationals. Hardly surprising perhaps, given that their head coach and technical director are also from Spain.