Atlético Madrid vs Club Brugge: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Thursday, October 4th, 2018 @11:30 PM
Estadio Metropolitano Madrid
Atlético Madrid 3 – 1 Club Brugge
Atlético look to record their second Champions League victory of the season as they entertain the Belgian champions in Madrid.
Atlético’s battling performance to beat Monaco after being a goal down in the group stage opener seems to have given them a lift on the domestic front as well. Back to back wins saw Diego Simeone’s side climb up the table and he will want a comprehensive victory against the weakest side in Group A.
A somewhat fortunate goal from Christian Pulisic handed Borussia Dortmund the victory late on in Club Brugge’s opening Champions League match but the Belgian side didn’t enjoy much of the possession in their home stadium – especially in the second half – and would have been lucky to come away with a point.
On first impressions Group A looks like a competitive group but neither Borussia Dortmund or Monaco are the sides they were a couple of years ago and Atlético Madrid will believe that they can qualify with ease. They started their European season off in fine form – defeating Real Madrid in the Super Cup – and would dearly love to make the Champions League final once again as it is being played at their own Wanda Metropolitano ground.
Club Brugge will desperate not to make it seven consecutive Champions League defeats and there will be a lot of pressure on Brazilian striker Wesley to put away any chances he is given to give the Belgians any chance of a result in Madrid. But the home side look too strong and it would not be a surprise if they run out high scoring winners – 4-0 could be the end result.
- Total goals over 3.5 goals 3.00 BET NOW
Club Brugge are well known for finding the net in their domestic league but the onus for goals will be on the home side in this match – and with the likes of Diego Costa, Antoine Griezmann and Thomas Lemar, their fans could be in for a treat.
- Atlético Madrid Half time/Full time 1.80 BET NOW
Much will be expected from Atlético against Club Brugge and many will believe that the home side will deliver. Nothing short of a resounding victory is expected and Diego Simeone’s men should dominate from the start.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two sides met back in the quarter finals of the 1977-78 European Cup when Club Brugge progressed 4-3 on aggregate. The Belgian side actually made it all the way to the final that season where they were beaten at Wembley by Liverpool.
- It can’t be said that Club Brugge didn’t give it their all against Dortmund. Two of their players – Hans Vanaken and Ruud Vormer – feature in the top 20 for distance covered during match day one.
- A disappointing Champions League group stage last season saw Atlético win just once before being transferred into the Europa League where they dominated and ended up beating Marseille in the final.
- Club Brugge may have not had much luck finding the net against Dortmund in the group opener but they know how to score a goal – they had a goal difference of plus 40 in the Belgian league last season.
- Atlético Madrid have not scored more than two goals in their most recent 12 Champions League matches – the last time they managed more was a 4-2 victory away at Bayer Leverkusen in 2017.