Asia Cup Qualifiers – Day 4
Asia Cup Qualifier 2018 started on 29th August and is being played for the spot in the Asia Cup 2018 which starts 15th September. Don’t miss a match with our Asia Cup 2018 schedule.
Here are the updates from the qualifier tournament. Check out how the associate members compete to get into the race for the Asia Cup 2018 title.
Singapore vs Oman – Asia Cup Qualifiers September 1 2018
- Singapore won the toss and chose to bat first.
- The opening partnership for Singapore was 29 runs between R Rohan and Manpreet Singh (14). R Rohan scored a half century – 68 off 92 balls with 6 fours and 2 sixes.
- Singapore’s number 3 batsman, AE Paraam added 77 runs to the total with 5 fours and 3 sixes.
- What dented the Singapore innings was the Oman bowling attack headed by Bilal Khan and Mohammad Nadeem. Mohammad Nadeem broke the partnership R Rohan and AE Paraam and exposed the vulnerable batting line up which fell too quickly.
- Other than the two half centuries, no batsman crossed the 20-run mark, with 5 batsmen scoring less than 10 runs, it was not a team effort in the batting department.
- Singapore’s total was 215/8 in 50 overs.
- Oman got off to a fantastic start with their opening batsmen putting up 151 runs for the 1st wicket.
- Aqib Ilyas score 108 runs from just 71 balls with 12 fours and 6 sixes.
- Jatinder Singh score 53 off 46 with 6 fours and 2 sixes.
- After the openers departed the number 3 and number 4 batsman made sure Oman crossed the winning line and defeated Singapore by 8 wickets.
- Oman reached the target in just 26.4 overs.
- This kind of a win has certainly helped the Oman team improve the net run rate in the league table.
- Aqib Ilyas was the man of the match.
- Oman wins two points and is in 2nd place with 3 wins from 3 matches and 6 points.
Nepal vs Malaysia – Asia Cup Qualifier September 1 2018
- Malaysia won the toss and chose to field first.
- Aarif Sheikh (64) and DS Airee (54) score half centuries from Nepal. These were the only competitive performances from Nepal that contributed runs to the total. Syazul Idrus picked 3 for 27 and S Muniandy picked 3 for 50. These bowling figures are the reason Nepal team could post 188/7 on the scoreboard
- Malaysia struggled chasing a target of 189 runs and lost by 19 runs. They lost wicket at quick intervals other than two short partnerships – 40 runs for the 2 wicket and 32 runs for the 4th wicket.
- B Regmi of Nepal picked 3 for 36. Sompal Kami and S Lamichhane picked 2 wickets each.
- Dipender Singh was the Man of the Match for his all-round performance with a half century and 1 wicket for 25 in 6 overs.
- Nepal is at 4th place with 2 wins from 4 matches and 4 points in the league table.
- Malaysia sits right below Nepal on the table with 1 win from 4 matches and 2 points.
Hong Kong vs United Arab Emirates – Asia Cup Qualifier September 1 2018
- UAE won the toss and elected to field first.
- Hong Kong innings had solid performances by their number 2 and number 3 batsman.
- Hong Kong lost their 1st wicket at 45 when C McAusian was dismissed by Imran Haider caught out.
- Babar Hayat coming in at number 3 along with the captain and opener for Hong Kong Anshuman Rath built a solid 2nd wicket partnership of 180 runs.
- Anshuman Rath score 102 with 9 fours and 2 sixes. Babar Hayal also scored a century – 107 with 2 fours and a whopping 9 number of sixes in his innings.
- Hong Kong finished 275/8 in their 49 overs.
- Rohan Mustafa and Imran Haider picked 3 wickets each for UAE.
- When UAE came out to bat, they were shocked with a wicket in the 2nd over when they had just 2 runs on the board.
- Wickets continued falling quickly and UAE were 3 down for 35 in 8 overs. Ehsan Khan picked 4 for 17 which meant UAE never made a comeback in the chase and lost wicket regularly.
- With Ehsan Nawaz. And Nadeem Ahmed picking 2 wickets each giving away just 12 and 18 runs respectively, UAE were all out for 93 runs in 24.5 overs.
- Hong Kong secure a win over UAE by a huge margin of 182 runs.
- Hong Kong is now in 3rd place with 2 wins from 3 matches and 4 points,
- UAE still remains at the 1st place with 6 points from 4 matches after their 1st loss in the series with a net run rate higher than Oman who has the same points but lower net run rate.
The Qualifiers final is set to be played on 6th September 2018. We will keep you updated with the Round 4 and Round 5 results and match updates in the meanwhilein our cricket news section.