Asia Cup Qualifiers – Day 1
The Asia Cup 2018 has kicked off and this is how the teams have performed so far –
Malaysia vs Hong Kong Asia Cup 2018 Qualifier
Malaysia defeated Hong Kong in the 1st ODI of the Asia Cup 2018 Qualifier by 3 wickets.
It was a low scoring game with Hong Kong batting first and putting up a total of 161 runs.
Malaysia chasing the 162-runs target lost 7 wickets and reached the target in 42.5 overs.
- SS Mckechnie scored 26 off 40 balls and stayed at the crease for a while to steer the Hong Kong innings.
- Babar Hayat was the only batsman with a half century, he scored 58 off 58 balls and was crucial in the Hong Kong innings.
- Malaysian bowlers Suharril Fetri and Pavandeep Singh were the reason why Hong Kong couldn’t get a good start in the Asia Cup 2018 Qualifiers.
- Suharril Fetri picked 3 for 24 in his 10 overs and Pavandeep Singh got 3 for 13 in his 10 overs.
- Shafiq Sharif from Malaysia scored 49 from 63 balls and was supported by Syed Aziz who played an innings of 25 runs off 34 balls to see the Malaysian side to victory.
- Nadeem Ahmed was the star bowler for Hong Kong picking 4 wickets for 25 runs.
Nepal vs Oman Asia Cup 2018 Qualifier
The 2nd match of the Qualifier was played between Nepal and Oman. Oman got off a winning start in their first match defeating Nepal by 7 wickets.
Nepal scored 221 for 9 batting first and Oman chased the total quite comfortably in 48 overs with 7 wickets in hand.
- Batting first Nepal had their wickets falling at regular intervals after Suraj Kumar of Oman run out SP Khakurel and got the breakthrough.
- The other opener of Nepal G Malla stayed on the crease longer and scored 45 off 60 balls.
- After G Malla was out in the 17th over Nepal was 3 wickets down for 58 runs.
- There onwards, Sagar Pun played a fine knock of 83 runs off 84 balls to add more runs to the Nepal scoreboard and ensured they cross the 200 runs mark.
- Bilal Khan, Mohammed Nadeem, and AV Lalcheta picked 2 wickets each for Oman.
- Chasing a target of 222, Oman lost their first wicket at the score of 33 and the second wicket fell soon at 71 runs.
- After the two openers were back to the pavilion, VS Wategaonkar along with Khawar Ali built a partnership of 76 runs.
- Khawar Ali scored 84 runs off 96 balls and VS Wategaonkar got to 41 runs from 69 balls before getting run out by Sandeep Lamichhane.
- Nepal’s captain P Khadka was the only wicket taker with figures of 1 for 24 in 7 overs.
UAE vs Singapore Asia Cup 2018 Qualifier
The 3rd match played between UAE and Singapore was expected to be a one-sided game and so it turned out to be.
UAE have raised their bar high and it showed in their game as they score 312 for 8 batting first. Singapore in return was all out for 97 in 25.4 overs.
- UAE are the favorites this time around with Afghanistan having already qualified for the Asia Cup 2018.
- UAE has a great batting line up with their opening batsmen in a great form. Ashfaq Ahmed and Chirag Suri, the UAE openers scored 64 and 111 respectively in the first game against Singapore.
- Shaiman Anwar played a fine knock of 75 off just 62 balls which helped UAE take the scoreboard to 312 in 49 overs.
- The bowling attack of UAE is top class with Ahmed Raza picking 6 for 20 in the first match along with captain Rohan Mustafa who picked 2 wickets for 24 runs.
UAE can be expected to repeat their previous Asia Cup Qualifier stint staying unbeaten and progressing to the Asia Cup 2018.
If UAE qualifies, they will be a tough competition for Afghanistan who was defeated by UAE in Asia Cup Qualifier 2016.
Qualifiers Upcoming Matches –
Stay tuned for more match results and highlights from Asia Cup 2018 Qualifier.
Here are the matches that will be covered up next –
Nepal vs UAE
UAE is expected to continue their great form and eye another win in the Asia Cup 2018 Qualifier.
Hong Kong vs Singapore
Both the teams have one loss to their name so far in the series and will be looking forward to register their first win.
Malaysia vs Oman
Both the teams have won their 1st match in the series. This will be a good contest as both the teams are eyeing for that one spot in the Asia Cup 2018 that’s to be played in UAE.