Wigan Athletic vs Aston Villa: Predictions, Betting Tips and Odds
Wigan welcome Aston Villa to the DW Stadium hoping that they can put together a run of results that gets them away from the relegation zone.
Manager Paul Cook will probably not be too disappointed that his Wigan side were knocked out of the FA Cup by West Brom. Although the 2013 FA Cup triumph was undoubtedly the club’s finest achievement it is more important for the Latics to stay up this season than progress in the competition. Villa at home is no easy game however and they will have to be on top form to get all three points.
With Tammy Abraham looking likely to get a loan move to Premier League Wolves, Aston Villa will be desperate for someone else to take up the goal scoring duties as they carry on their chase for promotion in 2019. The Chelsea player had scored 16 times for Villa this season and played a large part in the club being so high in the league. They will need a replacement quickly if they are to beat Wigan.
Wigan have struggled since winning promotion back to the Championship last season and a major reason for that has been their woeful scoring record. Will Grigg is the club’s leading marksman with just four in his 17 games. The Latics have only won one match since the club’s change in ownership in November and it looks like its going to be a tough remainder of the season.
Although Villa have only lost one game in the league since the end of October they have also only won one of the last six Championship games – and manager Dean Smith will know that those drawn games will have to turn into victories if his side are to stand any chance of going up this season. They could get a valuable three points at Wigan though – this could end 2-0 to the visitors.
- Aston Villa to win
Villa should win against Wigan – and the sports betting sites do have the visitors as slight favourites. It may not be a classic but Dean Smith will just be happy with the three points.
- Aston Villa to win to nil
Wigan just don’t score goals. The two they got at Swansea over Christmas were the first since the start of the month so a Villa win to nil seems likely here.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Wigan have not beaten Villa since they were both in the Premier League back in 2012 – and they went down 3-2 at Villa Park earlier in the season.
- Wigan have scored just 25 goals in the Championship this season – only Bolton Wanderers and Ipswich Town have scored fewer.
- If Tammy Abraham is still a Villa player he will be the top goal scorer in the division. If he has moved to Wolves then Jonathan Kodjia with just six will be the most prolific player on the field.
- Wigan scored six goals in their first three matches of the season but have only found the net on 19 further occasions in the following 23 Championship games.
- Aston Villa are one of two European Cup winners in the Championship this season – Nottingham Forest are the other trophied club.