Southampton vs Man Utd: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
The pressure is starting to show on both managers faces as disappointing seasons so far for both could end up having disastrous consequences for the loser.
It wasn’t meant to be like this for both Southampton and Manchester United this season.
Saints manager Mark Hughes has just been given the dreaded vote of confidence from the board after a start to the season that has seen them claim just one win from their opening 13 games.
It appears that only victory is a sure-fire way for Hughes to guarantee he will stay in his job and there may be opportunity against a Manchester United side who have been looking lacklustre at best.
The 0-0 with Crystal Palace is testament to that and not for the first time Jose Mourinho has questioned the heart of his side.
However, the Saints will still be up against it having not yet won a home game this season and having only won one of the last seven against the Red Devils.
Both sides have their problems, but United’s problems appear much more solvable than Southampton’s as back to back 2-1 away wins at the beginning of November shows.
Expect more of the same as the Red Devils bounce back with a third 2-1 away win in a month.
- Manchester United to win with a one goal margin
Seven of the last eight times a winner has been decided between these two just a single goal has been the winning margin.
- Southampton to lead at the break
A slight outsider this one but considering United have not scored a first half goal in their last three matches and the Saints have scored first in their last two games, it is well worth backing.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Manchester United come into the game having taken four points from the Saints last season thanks to a 1-0 win at the St Mary’s.
However, Southampton did gain some revenge by earning a creditable 0-0 draw at Old Trafford in the reverse fixture.
United do boast something of a superior record over the last fifteen years having won 17 of the last 24 meetings with the Saints claiming only 3 wins in that time.
Overall, Southampton have won 28 games compared to United’s 64 and a total of 31 draws.
- The first ever meeting between the two came in an 1897 FA Cup clash when United were known as Newton Heath and reply being needed after a 1-1 draw.
- Only Fulham (37) have been caught offside more times than Manchester United (36) this season.
- Southampton have scored two own goals this season (the joint highest with Watford).
- No goalkeeper has punched the ball more times that Southampton’s Alex McCarthy this season (10).
- The Saints are yet to win a home game this season, a feat only matched by Crystal Palace.