Rugby Betting Guide
Ireland has their own team which makes rugby betting very popular indeed. This page of our website is dedicated to providing Irish punters with all the tips and advice they need to make money from real money wagers on this sport. We explain everything you need to know including information on odds, where to bet, national and international games, and more. We even had our team of experts create the BettingTop10 strategy. Our site is packed full of information so whether you are looking for bookmakers, sportsbook bonus offers, free bets, or mobile apps, we have everything you need all in one place.
Up To €200
£20 Free Bet
€30 Welcome Offer
Bet £10 & Get £40
Bet €10 Get €30 Free
18+. New Customers Only.T&Cs Apply
Up To €100 In Free Bets
18+. New Customers Only. T&Cs Apply
Bet £10 Get £30 Free
Join Bet365 Today
€20 Risk Free
18+. New Customers Only.T&Cs Apply
Up To €30 Free Bet
Rugby Betting Ireland Odds Examined
If you’ve placed bets in bookie shops before you’ll be familiar with fractional odds that are most common here. Decimal odds are another option that you can choose at online sites, and both of these are explained below.
- Fractional Odds: These are displayed in fractions such as 2/1, 10/1, 4/1, etc. The favourite to win tends to have lower odds, the outsider the highest. If you bet at 4/1 and win you get €4 for every €1 you wager.
- Decimal Odds: These are written in decimals and calculating your winnings is a little different. Odds are displayed as 2.00, 3.00, etc. To see how much you’ll win, you need to multiply the amount you wager by the decimal and then add you wager amount. If you wager €2 at odds of 3.00 you win will be 3×2 plus €2 which works out at €12.
There are lots of different markets for rugby betting in Ireland and this includes Rugby League and Rugby Union matches. The game is played in two 40 minute halves and players can score tries worth 4 points, conversions worth 2 points, and drop goals worth 1 point.
Betting options can include grand final winner predications, outright match winner, 80 minutes handicap, match results, both teams to get 16 or 24 points, away team win, half time winner, first try scorer, anytime try scorer, hat-trick, get the first point, lead at half time, double result, home team winning margin, 2nd half result, last try scorer, first scoring play, and more. These options can lead to some exciting wagers and if you use the live in-play option on many of the top websites you can watch the odds change and choose the right time to bet.
Future betting is also very popular and this is where you predict the winner before the start of the tournament. Season points is also a favourite with punters and this is where you predict how many points your team will get during the entire season.
Rugby Betting Tips To Increase Your Chances of Winning
Placing your bets online is safe, simple, and easy to do. You can use mobile apps, or your desktop. We know that you want to win and to help here’s our BettingTop10 tips.
- They may be some luck involved in choosing the team that will win, but when it comes to betting right, you need to know the game. It is essential that you understand the rules of the game as this will really help you out.
- If you are planning to place your wagers on Rugby Union matches look at the big international competitions such as the Lions or Six nations as the odds are always higher.
- Choose a sportsbook that has a wide range of markets available and covers all the events you want to wager on. Our expert reviews can help you choose, and all the sites we list are fully licensed and regulated and offer regular and even daily promotions.
- Read the stats and keep up to date with all the latest news. Be aware of any player injuries and changes to the teams. Check recent performances and how the team is doing overall in the season. All this information will help you when deciding on your bets.
How to Bet on Rugby
Rugby betting online is safe and easy and if you follow the steps below you will be ready to win in no time.
Step 1: Find bookmakers that offer what you need. This should include special offers such as free bets, bet of the day, or regular promos. Choose the site that you prefer and fill in the account registration form.
Step 2: Sign into your new account and deposit funds. This is done via the cashier section. Choose from one of the many payment methods available and then follow the onscreen instructions.
Step 3: Visit the sports section of the website and choose the type of rugby you’re looking to bet on. When the page loads, you will be presented with the list of upcoming matches and the odds and betting options available.
Step 4: Pick the game you want to bet on and the option you want. Fill in your bet amount in the betting slip and you’re done.
Step 5: Sit back and relax and watch the game. If you are using the in-play option you will be able to place more bets as the game unfolds. At the end of the match, collect your winnings.
Rugby Annual Tournaments & Competitions that you can bet on
There are two main variants when it comes to this sport:
- Rugby Wold Cup – played every 4 years for the Webb Ellis Cup
- Six Nations Championship – played annually by 6 European side – Ireland, England, France, Italy, Scotland, and Wales. England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales also have the Triple Crown during the Six Nations.
- Rugby Championship – Annual event between Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Argentina.
- European Rugby Champions Cup – Annual event from October to May featuring clubs from countries that play in the Six Nations. Competition features 24 clubs.
- European Challenge Cup – Annual Event between the 24 teams that didn’t qualify for the European Rugby Champions Cup. Also includes teams from Romania, Spain, and Portugal.
- Guinness PRO14 – Annual Event – Formerly known as the Celtic League – Premier club competition with teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and Italy.
- Women’s Rugby World Cup – Every 4 years
- French Top 14 – Annual Event
- Mitre 10 Cup – Annual Event
- French Pro D2 – Annual Event
- Aviva Premiership – Annual Event
- Lions Tour – Team comprises of players from England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Tours every 4 years in rotation to Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
- Rugby League World Cup – Held every 4 years
- Super League – Annual Event – 12 teams, 11 from England and 1 from France
- Challenge Cup – Annual event involving amateur, semi-professional, and professional clubs.
- NRL – Top selection of professional clubs in Australasia. Main competition is the Telstra Premiership.
BettingTop10 Rugby Betting Strategy
Competitions, both domestic and international are available to bet on all year round, which means there is always a chance of winning money. Our experts have created a special strategy guide to help you take advantage of the odds and succeed.
- Competition Rules: make sure you know each competition’s rules. Some games offer bonus points for scoring four tries, whilst others hand out losing points for teams that are beaten by seven points of less. This can all make a difference to the outcome of your wagers.
- Handicap Markets: Take advantage of these whenever you can. Some matches offer seven points for a converted try as well as three points for a penalty or drop goal. This can make a big difference and handicap odds can help.
- Team Form: study the current and historical team form. Research is always necessary when you are betting for real money and having this knowledge can give you an edge when it comes to choosing who to put your money on.
- Consider playing styles: Be aware of the type of rugby a team tends to play. If they are known for playing defensive, tries might be in short supply especially if the other team is forward playing. If both teams play the same look for odds on penalties as the first scoring market.
- Playing Surface: Wet pitches and greasy surfaces can make handling the ball difficult. Only dominant players tend to score a lot on muddy surfaces. The size of the pitch is another thing to take into consideration. Smaller pitches produce fewer tries. Keep an eye on the weather prior to any big matches and study how both teams fair on different surfaces. This one strategy can lead to big wins.
- If you are planning to bet on the first scoring play market, waiting until you know who is going to kick off will give you a slight edge if you know your teams well. Be sure to check the team news and statistics of players often so you know what is happening.
- Be aware that some teams play harder and stronger in the second half and use the first half to tire out their opponents. This can provide lots of opportunities for in-play betting especially on half-time and full-time bets if you know a team like to play like this.