PSV Eindhoven vs Inter Milan: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
PSV Eindhoven endured a harsh return to the Champions League as they were routed by Barcelona, while Inter began by beating Tottenham Hotspur.
Lionel Messi’s hat-trick for Barcelona against PSV Eindhoven had one upside for the Dutch giants: at least they only have to face the Argentine once more. Hosting Inter won’t be easy, but at least it won’t be Messi.
Inter do though have an Argentine hitman of their own in Mauro Icardi, the striker who netted in the 2-1 win over Tottenham. Icardi might not be comparable to his compatriot over in Catalonia but he did net 29 goals in all competitions last season, and proved he belongs in the Champions League by beginning the comeback against Spurs. After Inter peaked in Europe under Jose Mourinho in 2010, Icardi’s goals are a major reason for the Milan side’s return to the continent’s premier tournament.
Barca battering aside, goals haven’t been a problem for PSV this season. They put six past Willem II and seven past ADO Den Haag, and are making the early running in the Eredivisie. Mark Van Bommel’s first senior coaching post has started well on the whole, and a home win over Inter to get PSV’s Champions League challenge back on track would be a real boost.
It’s not an unrealistic possibility either. PSV have been largely excellent so far in 2018-19, while Inter have stuttered. Their early form – losing to Sassuolo and drawing with Torino – wasn’t good and while Luciano Spalletti largely got matters back on course, a home defeat to Parma was a reminder of Inter’s vulnerability. A narrow PSV win – 2-1 – could open up Group B.
- PSV to win
Inter are more favoured despite being the away team but PSV haven’t lost a competitive game at home since July 2017, and only recently beat Ajax 3-0 at home.
- PSV to win and both teams to score
Icardi’s presence means Inter are always a goal threat but Gaston Pereiro and Hirving Lozano are PSV’s danger men, approaching double figures between them before the end of September.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
PSV and Inter met in the Champions League group stage back in 2007, with the Nerazzurri winning both times. Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored twice in the game at San Siro, which also saw Christian Chivu and David Suazo sent off, while Julio Cruz scored the only goal of the game in the Netherlands.
- PSV may have lost heavily to Barca but they didn’t spend 90 minutes defending – they had 14 attempts on goal, though only two of them were on target.
- Inter had only one more attempt against Spurs but twice as many on target.
- Six Inter players attempted and completed more passes than any PSV player in their respective first group games – Marcelo Brozovic, Kwadwo Asamoah, Matias Vecino, Joao Miranda, Stefan de Vrij and Milan Skriniar. Jorrit Hendrix led the way for PSV.
- Hendrix also ran the most metres for PSV but was beaten in those stakes again by Brozovic and Vecino – Hendrix ran 11,539m to 12,048m for Vecino and 12,417 for Brozovic.