Portugal vs. Morocco betting tips and preview
This match is over. Final score is: Portugal 1-0 Morocco
Next Portugal match: Iran vs Portugal
Next Morocco match: Spain vs Morocco
20th June 2018 – 13.00 GMT
Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow
This game is set to be finely balanced with Portugal slight favourites against the North African side. Both teams may believe they need a victory if they are to enter the final day with strong hopes of progression but the European champions should edge it and they are available at 8/15 to win.
This is the second match of Group B between European champions Portugal and Morocco, which could prove pivotal in deciding who qualifies from the group. A Cristiano Ronaldo hat-trick propelled the Portuguese to a thrilling opening day draw with Spain while an opening game defeat to Iran has left the African side on the brink.
Morocco did not concede a goal in their six group games to qualify for the World Cup and despite a thrilling six-goal draw with Spain, expect the Portuguese to adapt a more sensible approach here. Fewer than 2.5 goals in this game is available at 8/11.
Both teams to score
This will be a game of few goals and likely to be dominated by cagey play. However, Morocco know they must score – and likely win – if they are to stand any chance of progression while with Cristiano Ronaldo in their ranks, it is impossible to rule out the European side from getting on the scoresheet. Both teams to score is available at 11/10.
- Morocco defeated Portugal 3-1 in the 1986 World Cup, the only previous meeting between the two nations
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 84 international goals – only Iran’s retired striker Ali Daei has scored more
- World Cup Top Scorer Odds – 9/4
- Ronaldo has also become the first Portuguese player to score in four different World Cups, and the first European to score in eight different major international tournaments
- Morocco’s defeat to Iran was their first loss in 20 internationals
- The North African side lost their opener to the group’s lowest ranked side and now must aim to win both remaining matches against Portugal and then Spain
- Morocco to qualify for second round – 18/1
Portugal 1-3 Morocco – World Cup – 11th June, 1986
World Cup Qualifiers
Portugal left it late to qualify for the finals but did so automatically. Having lost to Switzerland in their opening game, Fernando Santos’ men were playing catch-up in Group B. But nine consecutive wins, including a 2-0 victory over the Swiss in their final fixture, ensured Portugal would be in Russia.
Top Goalscorers in Qualifiers
Cristiano Ronaldo – 15 goals
Andre Silva – 9 goals
Herve Renard’s side edged past Equatorial Guinea in the second stage of qualification before finishing top of their group in the final round. Like Portugal, Morocco took their time to book their place in this summer’s competition, beating Ivory Coast 2-0 in Abidjan in November and eliminating the Elephants in the process.
Top Goalscorers in Qualifiers
Khallid Boutaib – 4 goals
Hakim Ziyech – 2 goals