Basketball Betting Guide
Basketball betting in Ireland is very popular and with online bookmakers, you can place wagers on lots of different tournaments including the Irish Super League. On this page of our website you’ll find all the information you need on making bets on all the major leagues as well as an explanation on odds. You’ll also find our very own BettingTop10 tips and strategies that have been compiled by our expert team as well as details on finding bonus offers, free bets, how to bet using mobile apps, and more.
Up To €200
122% Welcome Bonus
£20 Free Bet
€30 Welcome Offer
Bet £10 & Get £40
Bet €10 Get €30 Free
18+. New Customers Only.T&Cs Apply
Up To €100 In Free Bets
18+. New Customers Only. T&Cs Apply
Bet £10 Get £30 Free
Join Bet365 Today
€20 Risk Free
18+. New Customers Only.T&Cs Apply
Up To €30 Free Bet
Basketball Betting Odds
Sports betting odds can be displayed in fractional or decimal formats. Below we have an explanation on both, but you will be able to choose the format you prefer so don’t worry too much about it.
- Fractional Odds: This is the most popular display in Ireland and ones most people will be familiar with. The odds are written as 4/1, 2/1, 10/1, etc. If you win at 4/1 odds you win €4 for every €1 you wager. The smaller the odds the more likely the team is to win.
- Decimal Odds: In this format the display is listed as 3.00, 2.00, etc. It is not the same and winnings are calculated differently. To find out how much you will win you must multiply the decimal by the amount you bet. For example, if you bet €2 on a 2.00 odds, you win 2×2 plus your original stake. This means you get back €4 plus €2 or €6.
There are lots of different basketball betting options available too and these include the moneyline where you bet on which team you think will win. There is also the first half moneyline, and first quarter moneyline. You can also choose handicap or spread betting and the options include first-half, first quarter, total points over/under, first half total points, first quarter total points, and more.
Futures betting is also very popular and this is where you make your predictions on which team you think will win the competition. There are lots of different futures that you can choose from and if you use the in-play options on any of our recommended sites, you will find a huge range of choices and many websites also include live streaming of events so you can bet as the game plays out.
Tips To Help Irish Punters
If you decide to use an online sportsbook, we know that your aim is to win and to help you out, our BettingTop10 experts have come up with this list of tips that you can use.
- Like any sport, when it comes to basketball betting, don’t bet on your favorite team, bet on the ones that will win you money.
- Make sure that you play at a reputable bookmakers. They should be licensed and regulated and offer competitive odds. Our reviews will help you make your choice and all the websites have been tested by our experts.
- Manage your bankroll effectively. Don’t chase your losses, and stick to your budget.
- Look at statics and don’t just trust popular trends. Read the professional team websites.
- Watch the basketball matches carefully and take note of how the teams react to losing and winning. Some teams change after the first or second quarter, some play badly for the entire game. Watch as many games as you can and read through all the important statistics.
How To Successfully Bet on Basketball
If you want to be successful with basketball betting, there are several steps that you need to follow.
Step 1: Make sure you sign up for an account with licensed and regulated sportsbook. Check the sign up bonus offer and any bet of the day offers that might be available. Use our reviews to help you choose the best websites.
Step 2: Sign into your account and deposit money via the cashier section. You will have to choose one of the payment methods that are available in Ireland.
Step 3: The next step is to locate your sport in the main menu and click on it. This will bring up a list of all the available tournaments and matches being played as well as the odds and betting options available. Choose the one you want and place your wager.
Step 4: If live streaming and in-play options are available you can watch everything take place on your screen. If you win all you have to do is cashout your money.
Basketball Annual Tournaments & Competitions
There are plenty of basketball tournaments at home and abroad that you can bet on including:
- NBA – Runs from late October to mid April. Playoffs follow for six week, with NBA finals in June.
- NCAA – This is US college basketball team tournaments are played in March
- Super League – Ladies and Men’s basketball tournament in Ireland
- Asian Basketball
- FIBA World Cup
- Olympic Basketball
- Australian NBL
- Italian Serie A
- French ProA
- Liga ABA
- Spanish ACB
Our Winning Strategy
Basketball betting is easy, but making money is more difficult and takes knowledge and strategy. Our strategy guide, devised by our expert team will help you increase your chances of winning.
- Keep up to date with NBA drafts and trades so you know who the new potential stars are going to be. It is harder for new players to adapt to teams so be on the lookout for teams with new signings even if they are great. The atmosphere of the team is also important and you need to make sure that the team mates get along and play well together. You can find out all this information by following the official sites of the players and basketball leagues.
- Coaching changes are another thing to keep an eye on as a new coach will always have an impact on the team, be it good or bad. Check the coaches experience and successes prior to placing your wagers. Different coaches have different playing strategies so it is important to have as much information on new coaches as possible as this can help determine your betting strategy for the season
- An injury to a single player on a team can have a detrimental impact so stay abreast of any injuries or changes to a team. If an important player is injured odds will change very quickly so be sure to check them before placing your bets. If you are using live play options something like this could lead to a big win in the second half.
- Statistics play an important role too and you should look at all of these. The most important stats are scoring, such as number of dunks, free throws, or three pointers. You should also look at conversion percentages for players as well as the number of assists, steals, blocks, fouls, and rebounds. The more information you have the better. Know the game, know how it’s played, and make sure you have all the information on the players. There is no point is placing any wagers or trying to win money if you don’t have this information.
- Live betting is difficult for beginners but if you are doing it the most important thing is the half-time statistics. Some teams play great at the start of the game but then fall behind. If a team wins the first half it doesn’t mean they will win the game. There have been teams that have come back from losing by 20 points or more in the first half to take the full-time match. Check the statistics at half time before you decide on your bets for the second half of the match. Backing a team with a double-digit loss at halftime will have great odd and can net you a nice sum if they win. Remember basketball games can have several lead changes and teams have the ability to score heavily in short bursts of time so watch the odds carefully to know when the best time to bet is.
- Know the schedule for the whole season and plan your bets in advance. The schedule can be extremely busy and some teams may have a lot of travelling to do each week. Some teams end up playing up to four games a week and players may be tired. Use this information to help pick the teams you bet on each week. Look at how they’ve been playing, where they’ve travelled from, etc., and don’t forget the home advantage that can often occur.
- Keep an eye on trends. No team can sustain the same gameplay for an extended period, so when their numbers start to drop stop betting on them, and move onto the next team that is causing a stir. The same is not always true for losing teams and their bad luck can run all season.
- Always back a team that has a winning record when playing against a team with a losing record. It makes sense and can help get some profits into your bankroll.