Liverpool vs Newcastle: Predictions, Betting Tips and Odds
Rafael Benítez returns to Liverpool in what promises to be the biggest ‘love in’ of the Christmas period. Jurgen Klopp will care not one bit for sentiments, just three-points.
There is the small matter of a Premier League title race Liverpool are embroiled in and any feeling for former manager Rafael Benitez must be set aside if the Reds are to dethrone the blue half of Manchester come May.
It seems there is nothing that can stop Liverpool at home this season in the Premier League as their unbeaten Anfield record can testify. Worrying times indeed then for Newcastle as they make the trip from East to West.
However, perhaps not so as once again Rafa has weaved his magic and managed to pull a series of results out of the bag and give his side an element of breathing space.
Matches between these two are always close and the fact that neither side has managed to record back to back wins over one another since 2011 confirms that.
That said, having conceded just two goals at Anfield in the Premier League all season, it hard to see a Magpies side who struggle for goals breaking through the Liverpool defence as the Reds make it a fifth straight home win with a narrow 1-0 victory.
- Liverpool to win and prevent Newcastle from scoring
This is the only real way to get value from the inevitable home win with top betting sites as Anfield has seen only two away league goals all season and the Magpies have netted just seven on the road.
- Liverpool to win with a one goal margin
Two of Liverpool’s last three home wins in all competitions has come by a single goal margin whilst the Magpies are yet to lose on the road in the league by more than one goal.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
The pair have a history of competitive action against one another.
Last season a 1-1 draw at St James Park was followed by a Liverpool 2-0 win at Anfield in March of this year.
However, neither side has managed to record back to back victories over each other since Liverpool managed it spread over two Premier League seasons in 2011.
Overall, Liverpool have beaten the Magpies 83 times with Newcastle winning 50 times and a total of 42 draws.
- Liverpool are yet to lose a Premier League home game this season, having won seven and drawn one of their eight Anfield clashes.
- Remarkably Newcastle has not lost an away game this season by more than a single goal.
- Liverpool has conceded just twice at home this season which is the lowest in the division.
- The pair first met in a League Division Two match in 1893 with Liverpool winning 5-1.
- Newcastle manager Rafael Benítez won the FA Cup and Champions League as manager of Liverpool.