Ireland Golf Betting Guide
Golf betting is very popular in Ireland and on this page of our website you will find everything you need to know about making bets and winning. We explain how to bet on golf matches such as the PGA tour and the European PGA Tour as well as explaining odds and the different options that are available. We also have our very own BettingTop10 strategy that you can follow to increase your chances of winning. Whether you’re looking for top bookmakers, great bonus deals with free bets, or information on using mobile apps, you’ll find everything located on this page.
Last Update - July 2018
Up To €200
£20 Free Bet
€30 Welcome Offer
Bet £10 & Get £40
Bet €10 Get €30 Free
18+. New Customers Only.T&Cs Apply
Up To €100 In Free Bets
18+. New Customers Only. T&Cs Apply
Bet £10 Get £30 Free
Join Bet365 Today
€20 Risk Free
18+. New Customers Only.T&Cs Apply
Up To €30 Free Bet
Golf Betting Odds for Ireland Explained
Odds in Ireland are shown as either fractional or decimal. Most punters will be familiar with fractional odds. This display is easy to read and understand.
- Fractional Odds: This is the most common format in Ireland and is shown as 2/1, 20/1, etc. They are spoken as “two to one”, “twenty to one”, etc. If your wager wins at odds of 20/1, you win €20 for every €1 you bet. The smaller odds represent the favorite person to win whereas the bigger odds mean the biggest gamble.
- Decimal Odds: This odds display is shown as 2.00, but it is not the same as fractional odds and winnings are calculated differently. With decimal displays, you multiply your bet by the decimal and this is the amount you win plus your initial bet. For example, on odds of 2.00 on a €1 bet you win 2×1 plus €1 which is €3.
Unlike football or rugby matches, golf doesn’t have a head to head battle that you can place bets on. Instead, this is an individual sport and you have odds and wagers to suit this. There are 2-ball and 3-ball betting options that you can look at, but tournament outrights are the most popular form of golf betting that Irish punters tend to use. The reason for this is that it is easy and straightforward and you can be placing your money on who you think will win the tournament. The downside is that it can be hard to predict the winning. The upside is that you can win a lot of money. There are usually over 140 players in any evet and this means some massive prices on offer for punters.
You can also place each way bet but the odds can be very different. You might find odds of 20/1 on the winner with only 1/4 odds on a place finish.
Golfers usually tie off in threes or pairs and Irish bookmakers know that competition is important to the golf betting market and often offer markets where punters can bet against the players. In 2-ball for example, you can have odds on who is likely to finish with the lowest score in the round. This add to the excitement and engages bettors given them more options to choose from.
Props are also available in golf betting and options often include nationality of the winner, European winner, and more. Masters betting is very popular in Ireland as is the Ryder Cup and PGA tours.
Golf Betting Tips To Help You Win
When using an online sportsbook to place your bets, we know that you want to win and in order to help increase your chances, here are the BettingTop10 tips that you can use.
- When looking at golf props be sure to check out the official websites of the PGA Tour and European PGA Tour where you will find detailed stats on each player that season as well as their play history for the event. This will help you to make your decisions.
- Look at the odds given and place you wager on who you feel will be most profitable with the best chance of winning.
- Make sure the online sportsbook you choose is licensed and regulated and has a good reputation. Our reviews will help you to do this and all the sites we list have been fully vetted and tested by our team of experts.
- Know the support and the stay abreast of all the latest golf news. Be aware of any injuries, golfers that are performing under par, those that are not playing as well as they normally do, etc, and choose your bets based on all the information you can garner.
How to Bet on Golf
In order to place bets on any golfing tournament, there are a number of steps you need to follow.
Step 1: Find a reputable site and sign up for an account. Be sure to look at the sign up bonus as many offer free bets and a bet of the day promotion that you can avail of.
Step 2: Log into your account and make a deposit using one of the payment methods available to punters in Ireland.
Step 3: In the sports menu locate golf and look at the list of tournaments and matches being played. This will include the Masters, Ryder Cup, PGA tours and more. Choose the one you want to bet on and click on it.
Step 4: Look at the different markets, odds, and options available and select the type of bet you want to place as well as the amount you wish to wager.
Step 5: Watch the game play out and collect your winnings if you are successful. Many of the top bookmakers offer live in play odds and live streaming of events too.
Golf Betting Annual Events
There are ten major Golf Tournaments for punters to bet on. These include:
- The Masters – A Major Tour held in April every year with 90 entrants
- US Open – Major Tour held in June with 156 entrants
- USPGA Championship – Major tour held in August with 156 entrants
- Ryder Cup – PGA vs Euro Tour held in September every second year with 24 entrants of 12 vs 12
- BMW PGA Championship – Euro tour held in May with 145 entrants
- DP World Tour Championship – Euro tour held in November with 144 entrants
- The Players Championship – PGA tour held in May with 156 entrants
- Tour Championship – PGA tour held in September with 30 entrants who are the Top 30 of PGA money list
- World Golf Championship – Match play tournament held in March with 64 entrants who are the Top 64 in world rankings.
Every tour includes a final-series where the season’s most successful players compete for a large money prize. This includes the Fed-Ex-Cup on the PGA Tour and the Race to Dubai on the ET.
A Winning Strategy
Winning money on your golf betting takes practice but your strategy tips can help. Here at BettingTop10 we believe in helping you success and our winning strategy includes all the advice you need. Our experts have created this guide to help you succeed.
- Golfer Form: When it comes to golf betting the first thing you need to do is assess the golfers and look at what their current form is. You need to look at their recent finishes in tournaments leading up to the event you want to bet on. Rule out any player that hasn’t competed in at least one of the five previous tournaments.
- Study the Course: A lot of the courses on the PGA and ET are used year after year and this makes it easy to see if a golfer has a particular like or dislike to a certain course. Certain golf courses require accuracy off the tee and if a player misses the fairway on some of these courses they will struggle to make par. Some courses are wide open and don’t require accuracy off the tee. This gives long hitters an advantage over short hitters. Windy conditions can also have an affect so studying the different courses will help you determine which golfer to back.
- Look at Stats: Look at resent and season long statistics as this will give you an edge on bookmakers. Study the recent driving accuracy statistics when choosing golfers on that require this. Check the recent greens in regulation statistics (GIR). Be sure to look at putting too. If a player can’t putt, they won’t win tournaments.
- Avoid betting on inexperienced players: Don’t place your wagers on players who haven’t won a trophy on the tour they are competing on. A win on the PGA or ET gives golfers two to five years exemption to play on that particular tour no matter how they perform.
- Use a spreadsheet to track performance: It is a good idea to keep a record of your bets if you want to be profitable in the long term. When you keep track you can see where you’ve been right and where you are making poor judgements. A simple spreadsheet is all you need and this will allow you to keep notes on golfers and their performance throughout the different tournaments, making it easier for you to win big when placing your wagers.