Arsenal vs Manchester United: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Manchester United would feel a lot different about this game if Jose Mourinho were still in charge. Indeed, they’d have felt a lot different about the previous seven games but for the lift given to the club by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The former United forward has overseen seven straight wins and Old Trafford feels like a happy place to be again.
Arsenal underwent a changing of the guard back in the summer and while Unai Emery has impressed on the whole, there’s a definite feeling of instability around the club after some recent comings-and-goings. Results on the pitch have been mixed too, with the Gunners enjoying a long unbeaten spell earlier in the season but some patchy form thereafter. The weekend’s 2-0 win over Chelsea was meanwhile marred by Hector Bellerin’s knee injury.
There’s a chance both managers could use this fixture to rest and rotate, but neither boss should overlook the competition’s importance. Emery and Solskjaer will hope their team can sneak into the Premier League’s top four and qualify for the Champions League, but fans crave silverware. A trophy in his first season would confirm Emery’s Arsenal are on the right track, while signing off with a cup would only enhance Solskjaer’s stance as a United favourite.
With not much between the sides so far this season – their meeting in December at Old Trafford ended in a 2-2 draw – and Arsenal only ahead on goal difference in the league table, betting sites should expect another tight affair. In-form United should shade it 2-1.
- Manchester United to win and both teams to score
There should be goals here – it’s 10 games since there were fewer than two goals in this fixture, and in only two of those games did just one team score.
- Marcus Rashford to score anytime
England international Marcus Rashford has been in sterling form under Solskjaer, netting five times in his last seven games, and, still only 21, he’s the type of player who wants to be on the pitch, not in the stands saving his legs.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Arsenal and Manchester United have met 187 times in total, with the Gunners victorious on 63 occasions. United have won 80 times, with 44 draws.
Perhaps the most famous FA Cup meeting between the clubs was back in 1999, the season United, under Sir Alex Ferguson, won the treble. It was a semi-final replay that United won 2-1 thanks to a memorable solo goal from Ryan Giggs, the winger than producing an equally-memorable celebration.
- Arsenal beat Blackpool 3-0 to reach the FA Cup’s fourth round, while United saw off the challenge of Championship strugglers Reading, 2-0.
- United were beaten by Chelsea in last season’s FA Cup final – an Eden Hazard penalty settled the tie.
- No club has won the FA Cup more times than Arsenal’s 13, with the Londoners lifting the trophy in the 1930s, 1950s, 1970s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s.
- United’s last FA Cup tournament win was in 2016, when they beat Crystal Palace 2-1. They’ve won the trophy 12 times, one fewer than Arsenal.
- Arsenal first won the FA Cup in 1930, more than 20 years after United’s first success in 1909.