Sporting CP vs Arsenal: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Group E unbeaten heavyweights Sporting CP and Arsenal meet at Sporting’s Estádio José Alvalade with both sides looking to put on foot in the knockout round.
Arsenal are a side reborn under Unai Emery and are currently riding the crest of a wave.
Two wins from two in Europe is impressive but no more impressive than Sporting CP, but it is Arsenal’s goal record that stands them above the crowd.
Seven goals for the Gunners is the joint highest in the group stage so far (along with Bayer Leverkusen) and Arsenal look far from done yet.
Mind you, Sporting are no slouches either and have netted four times in their opening Europa League group game fixtures.
That sets his tie up nicely and a draw is a result that will leave both managers smiling.
2-2 is the prediction for this one with both sides happy to get this one out of the way with points in the bag.
Both teams to score
- Over 2.5 goals in the game
This is something of a no-brainer as between the two they have scored eleven goals in four Europa League matches between them.
Sporting are yet to score less than two in a group game while the Gunners have netted no less than three in their two games.
- Both teams to score in the second half
Neither side has yet failed to score a second half goal in the group stage of the Europa League this season.
With goals galore, you can expect plenty of second half action to keep this contest alive right until the end.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Remarkably, despite the pairs undoubted European heritage, this will be the first ever meeting between Sporting and Arsenal in a UEFA competition.
However, that is not to say the pair have not played each other before because they have.
That was during the 1969/70 Inter Cities Fairs Cup second round as Arsenal swept to a 3-0 aggregate victory winning 0-0 in Lisbon and 3-0 at Highbury.
That was also the same year that Arsenal went on to lift the trophy.
However, Sporting have a solid record against English clubs in UEFA competitions having played 21 times, winning 9, losing 9 and drawing 3.
- Remarkably this will be the first meeting between Sporting and Arsenal since the 1969/70 Inter Cities Fairs Cup.
- Arsenal are the joint top scorers in the Europa League group stage with seven (the same as Bayer Leverkusen).
- The Gunners have never won a UEFA Cup competition game in Portugal in five attempts.
- Arsenal’s away record in the Europa league stands at five wins, one draw and two defeats.
- Sporting CP have won all three of their last European Cup games without conceding a goal.