Nottingham forest vs Wigan Athletic: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Martin O’Neill welcomes Paul Cook’s Wigan Athletic side to the City Ground hoping to get his first win as Nottingham Forest boss.
Martin O’Neill was humbled by the crowd’s reaction to his appointment as a packed out City Ground welcomed him back for the last match against Bristol City. His side were unable to give him his first points as manager but they will be confident of a win at home to Wigan as the visitors dropped to 20th in the Championship after their defeat away at Sheffield Wednesday.
Wigan are still six points off the relegation spots but a terrible run of form that has only seen one win in their last nine games will have Latics fans worried. Paul Cook’s side started the season brightly – and were even third in the table in September – but they have rarely looked good since then and had a very unimpressive Christmas period in particular. Three points is much needed but it seems unlikely that they will get a win at Forest.
Fans may well be optimistic for the future now that club legend Martin O’Neill has taken over as manager but Forest have not been getting the results recently and that form will need to change if they are to be involved in the play offs at the end of the season. They should beat Wigan without much trouble but a long injury list could hamper their plans.
Scoring goals has been a problem for Wigan all season so the three they managed against Aston Villa were a welcome surprise. They desperately need to find some consistency however, or they could easily be dragged into an unwanted relegation battle – and online betting sites are already shortening their odds for the drop. Forest should be too strong for them today and a 2-0 home win could be on the cards.
- Nottingham Forest to win to nil at 23/10
According to 888Sport the odds for Forest to win without conceding are 23/10 and with Wigan’s lack of firepower this seems a likely outcome.
- Lewis Grabban to score first at 17/5
The Forest striker has 15 goals in all competitions but hasn’t found the net since the start of December so will be eager to impress his new boss. 888Sport have him 17/5 to get the first goal in this one.
1 x 2 Odds
These two sides shared the points in a 2-2 draw in August and last season’s 4-3 thriller at the City Ground suggests that there could be goals in this one.
- Martin O’Neill won two European Cups as a player at Nottingham Forest and has had a successful managerial career winning trophies at Leicester City and Celtic in the late 1990s and early 2000s.
- Wigan Athletic only became a league side in 1978 but famously won the FA Cup in 2013, beating Manchester City in the final.
- Nottingham Forest have recorded the most drawn games in the league this season. Alongside Birmingham City and Aston Villa they have picked up just a point on 12 separate occasions.
- Wigan have lost 11 games away from home in the Championship this season – the worst record in the division.