Arsenal vs Sporting CP: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Arsenal look to get the three points that will see them qualify for the next stage – and keep up their 100% record.
Arsenal have come a long way since the reports of a ‘crisis’ at the club after just two games of the season. Unbeaten in all competitions since those defeats to Manchester City and Chelsea, Arsenal have regained some of the form of the Wenger glory years and have started to make their fans believe once more. A win here would see them through to the next round.
Sporting decided to defend and break on the counter in the home fixture against Arsenal a couple of weeks ago and were ultimately undone by a Danny Welbeck goal with less than 15 minutes to go. A defeat at the Emirates would not be a disaster but the Lisbon side would welcome a point.
The Gunners have not looked troubled at all so far in their Europa League campaign. Two late goals conceded in their first match flattered their Ukrainian visitors and that was followed by a comprehensive win in Baku and a victory over Sporting two weeks ago. Unai Emery will be confident that his side will get the three points and qualification to the knock out rounds here.
It has been a strange season in Portugal’s Primeira Liga with none of the traditional powerhouses stamping any authority on the campaign as of yet. Sporting in particular have looked off the pace and will be hoping that an extended run in the Europa League will spark their domestic season. Arsenal look in fine form though and could win this 2-0.
- Arsenal to win to nil
Sporting have not scored a lot of goals this season and were unable to find the net in the reverse fixture. Arsenal should win this one and claim a clean sheet in the process.
- Second half highest scoring
Arsenal have tended to wait until the second half of their matches to grab the goals this season and it could be more of the same against Sporting.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Before Arsenal’s 1-0 victory two weeks ago these two sides had only met in a Fairs Cup tie in 1969 – Arsenal won 3-0 on aggregate.
- When Arsenal beat Sporting in Lisbon it was the first time since 2015 that they had not conceded a single shot on target in a European match.
- After dropping out of last season’s Champions League, Sporting were eliminated in the quarter finals of the Europa League to eventual winners Atletico Madrid.
- Unai Emery has only lost one of his 21 Europa League group stage matches while at Valencia, Sevilla and Arsenal.
- Although they have won their domestic league on 18 occasions, Sporting have only one European title to their name – the 1964 European Cup Winners’ Cup.