AEK vs Bayern: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
AEK welcome Bayern Munich to Athens hoping that the visitors’ poor run of form continues.
AEK have stumbled slightly recently and although they have only dropped points against the other big sides in the Greek Superleague that could be enough to rule them out of a return to Champions League football next season. Only a last minute goal saved them a point at home against Olympiacos, so a morale-boosting result here would really lift their season.
Bayern’s season continues to go from bad to worse. Expected to win the Bundesliga with ease once again, Niko Kovac’s men have dropped points after four consecutive victories at the start of the season. What will be of a bigger worry is the lack of goals in recent matches. With all the attacking talent they possess the Bavarian giants should be finding the net more regularly.
AEK have allowed three goals in both their opening Champions League fixtures and know that back to back defeats to Bayern could put them out of the running for even the third place spot in the group that allows them to continue in continental competition. They were outclassed in Amsterdam but fought back to narrowly lose to Benfica so will be hoping home advantage can help here.
After Renato Sanches scored the second in their opener against Benfica it looked like things were looking up for the Portuguese midfielder – and when Mats Hummels found the net after four minutes against Ajax it seemed that Bayern were back. But a point in that match has been followed by disappointing results in the league and Bayern need to get their season back on track in Athens. They should be able to win here though – 2-0 looks likely.
- Bayern Munich to win both halves
AEK have let in six goals in two Champions League matches and although Bayern have struggled this season this looks like the kind of game they are likely to dominate from the start.
- Bayern Munich to win to nil
The Greek side scored two at home against Benfica in the last match day but were unable to break down the Ajax defence and Bayern will be going all out to win this one as convincingly as possible.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
These two sides have never met before but Bayern Munich have played four times in Greece and have never lost a match.
- Bayern Munich scored 13 goals in their six group stage matches last season but have only managed three so far this year.
- AEK didn’t even make it to the group stage last year, losing to CSKA Moscow in the third qualifying round. It was their first Champions League campaign for ten years.
- Although Bayern Munich have won the European Cup/Champions League on five occasions they have not lifted the famous cup since 2013 when they beat fellow Bundesliga side Dortmund.
- AEK are the most successful Greek club in European competition, being the first to compete in the group stage of the Champions League and also reaching the semi final of the UEFA Cup in 1977.