Southampton vs Man City: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Sunday, December 30th, 2018, @ 9:15
St. Mary’s Stadium
Pep Guardiola takes his side down to the south coast hoping to put an end to the run of indifferent results recently.
Southampton have looked like a whole new team since Ralph Hasenhüttl took over at the start of December. The Saints had looked favourites for relegation with Mark Hughes in charge but the new Austrian coach has instilled a newfound belief in his squad and they are starting to play some very attractive football.
It is hardly a crisis but Manchester City losing two games out of three is about as bad as it gets for the Etihad side. Having looked like they would win a second successive title for most of the season they are now watching Liverpool take control – and they need to get back on track over the Christmas period to stop Klopp’s side getting too far out in front.
Southampton’s victory over Arsenal was their first since the beginning of September and never has a change of manager seemed so necessary. The newfound confidence of the squad is evident but Manchester City will pose a tough task for Ralph Hasenhüttl’s men.
Manchester City thrashed Southampton earlier in the season and although the circumstances have changed greatly since then, betting sites will still fancy an away victory here. It will be harder for City this time around but they are still more than capable of coming away with a 2-0 victory.
- Manchester City to win to nil
Southampton should not get too carried away with recent results – and their upturn in fortune – this is still a very good Manchester City side and they should be able to win comfortably at St Mary’s.
- Raheem Sterling to score first
There is more than enough choice when it comes to predicting goals from Manchester City but Sterling has been on fine form this season and could add to his tally against Southampton.
1 x 2 Odds
Head To Head
Manchester City have really enjoyed this fixture recently and have only lost one of the last five visits to Southampton.
- Pep Guardiola’s sides are always known for their attractive style of play and there are three City players in the most passes top 10 at the moment. Defender Aymeric Laporte leads the way.
- Poor performances and ill discipline usually go hand in hand and Southampton have received more yellow cards than any other club in the Premier League.
- Manchester City have been top scorers by quite a margin all season, so it is perhaps unsurprising that they also lead the way in shots – over 30 more than any other club.
- It might be expected of Manchester City to lead the way in shots but for a side that has struggled for the majority of the season, it is to Southampton’s credit that only City, Chelsea and Liverpool have recorded more.