Southampton vs Arsenal: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Sunday, December 16th, 2018, @8:30
St. Mary’s Stadium
New Saints boss Ralph Hasenhüttl takes charge of his first home game as a rampant Arsenal come to town looking to gun Southampton down in their bid for a top four spot.
Former RB Leipzig boss Ralph Hasenhüttl faces a difficult task in keeping Southampton in the Premier League as a 12-game winless league run can testify.
If Hasenhüttl was expecting a response from his side, he would have been disappointed in the loss at Cardiff and will know his side will be up against it when a rejuvenated Arsenal make the trip down the M3.
Only Tottenham and Liverpool have scored more goals on the road this (19) than Arsenal (18) but the Gunners have played three road games less than Spurs and two less than the Reds.
Arsenal’s free-flowing football is back under Unai Emery and that is a worry for the Saints.
Time is what Ralph Hasenhüttl needs but this game looks like it has come too soon with the Gunners smelling South Coast blood.
Arsenal average 2.5 goals on the road this season while Saints are yet to win at home and have only scored six times.
- Arsenal to win to nil
Arsenal have been hitting the high notes on the road this season with eighteen goals while Saints have yet to win a game at St Mary’s and have only scored six times at home.
- Arsenal to lead at the break
The Gunners have scored a first half goal in four of their last five matches in all competitions making an early pay out a likely scenario.
1 x 2 Odds
Head To Head
Southampton earned a creditable draw the last time the Gunners came to the St Mary’s Stadium back in December 2017.
However, the reverse fixture at the Emirates was a different matter as Arsenal ran out 3-2 winners in one of Arsene Wenger’s last games in charge of Arsenal.
Southampton did inflict a 4-0 Boxing day thumping of Arsenal at St Mary’s in 2015 which remains the last time the Saints beat Arsenal at home.
Overall, Southampton has won 20 meetings between the two with Arsenal claiming 49 victories with 26 draws.
- Southampton are the only side in the Premier League yet to win a home game this season.
- No one has scored more away goals this season than Arsenal after seven road trips (18).
- Southampton have drawn more home games than anyone this Premier League season with five.
- The first meeting between the two came in 1927 when the Gunners won an FA Cup tie 2-1 on home soil.
- Remarkably, Southampton have had 28 more shots at goal this season than Arsenal despite having scored 22 less goals than the Gunners.