Montreal Canadiens vs Ottawa Senators: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Saturday October 20th, 4:00 pm Pacific Time
Canadian Tire Centre
It’ll be a battle of Eastern Canada when the Montreal Canadiens make the short trip to Ottawa to take on the Senators in a crucial Saturday night showdown.
Expectations coming into the season were fairly low for both the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens after both franchises missed out on the postseason last year. Senators fans are not happy with the direction the club is headed and it’s hard to blame them. They will struggle to keep up in the playoff race, and their future also remains a big question mark.
They’ve won just two of their opening five games of the season, conceding an abysmal 21 goals in that span. While they have managed to find the back of the net at least three times each game over that period, the team looks to be in shambles at the back. Former club captain Erik Karlsson was traded to the San Jose Sharks during the offseason and a replacement doesn’t seem to be anywhere in sight.
Besides two big wins against the Pittsburgh Penguin, the season has gone as expected for a Canadiens team most predicted would not be very good. Team captain Shea Weber is out until mid-December with a knee injury and as a result the Montreal blueline is almost as thin as the Senators’.
Rarely will Montreal come into a game as the favourite this year, but this will likely be one of those occasions as the Senators may be the worst team in the league at the moment. Montreal will look to take advantage of a familiar opponent and as long as Carey Price is at his best, they should be leaving the Canadian Tire Centre with two points.
- Montreal Canadiens win in regulation
The Canadiens aren’t the most impressive team on paper, but Carey Price is more than capable of stealing a game on any given night like we’ve seen so often in the past.
- Over 6 goals
Both teams can light the lamp, but neither has necessarily proven they can stop opponents from doing so. Expect plenty of goals in this one.
Head to Head
The Montreal Canadiens won three of the four games they played against the Senators last season – including the October showdown in the Canadian capital.
- The Montreal Canadiens have not lost the season series to Ottawa since the 2014-15 campaign.
- The most expensive goalie in the NHL – Carey Price – posted just a .900 SV% and a 3.11 GAA across 49 appearances for the Habs last season. Statistically, the worst season of his career.
- Despite Brendan Gallagher scoring an impressive 31 goals and putting up 54 points last year, he was bumped to the second line next to Phillip Danault and Tomas Tartar.
- Mark Stone of the Ottawa Senators was on pace to put up 88 points last season, when a plethora of injuries kept him off the ice. He still managed to score 20 goals and provide 42 assists in 58 games.