Liverpool vs Bayern: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Tuesday February 19, 2019, 15:00
Round of 16, Leg 1/2
Liverpool are still pushing for the Premier League title but now face the might of Bayern Munich in their Champions League round of 16 tie.
Liverpool started their Champions League campaign brightly, beating Paris Saint-Germain at home, but then came a little unstuck before scraping past Napoli in the final match to qualify for the knock out stages. They will still fancy their chances in front of the Anfield crowd – although they will need a healthy lead to take to Germany to ensure progress.
Perhaps fortunate with the Champions League group draw, but Bayern were unstoppable against all three sides and only dropped points to Ajax on the way to the round of 16. Liverpool are a different proposition however and Bayern will need to be on top of their game to get anything out of the first leg match.
Critics have accused Liverpool of starting to wobble as they compete with Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur for the Premier League title – but they will need to concentrate if they are to outwit the German champions, even if they are not the threat that they were in the last few seasons.
Bayern Munich have dropped as low as sixth in the Bundesliga this season which is virtually unheard of in recent times – but bookies still look at them as one of the favourites for the Champions League. They could come unstuck in Liverpool though and a 2-1 home victory is not inconceivable.
- Liverpool to win and both teams to score
Anfield is always a tough place to go for any European side but Liverpool will want to do one better than last year in the Champions League and can carry on with a win here.
- Mo Salah to score the first goal
Mo Salah is usually involved in anything positive for Liverpool and has scored five in their last five home matches.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
For two giants of European football these two have only met a handful of times over the years. Liverpool were victorious the last time in the 2001 European Super Cup.
- Liverpool scored nine goals in their six group matches – but four of them came against Red Star Belgrade in one match.
- Bayern Munich were the third highest scorers in the group stage – with Robert Lewandowski topping the individual goal charts with eight.
- Liverpool won every single home game in the group stage – but lost to Napoli, PSG and Red Star Belgrade away from Merseyside.
- Bayern Munich went through the group stage unbeaten and conceded four goals out of a total of five to Ajax.