Hoffenheim vs Manchester City: Predictions, Odds and Betting Tips
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018, 11:55 UTC-5
Champions League favourites Manchester City travel to Hoffenheim as they attempt to get their quest for the trophy back on track.
Manchester City were surprisingly poor in their group stage opener at home to Lyon. Sloppy defending and woeful attacking play handed the French side the opportunity to come away with an improbable victory – and they duly obliged. City will surely make a return to form in Germany.
Hoffenheim navigated a tricky away trip to Ukraine and came away with a point form their opening game against Shakhtar Donetsk. But they may well have been sitting at the top of the group if it wasn’t for Shakhtar grabbing an 81st minute goal to level the score. Points away from home in the Champions League can be the difference though and they will be confident ahead of City’s visit.
The English Premier League champions have looked in fine form domestically, only dropping points away from home to Wolves so far this season. All the focus has been on Liverpool’s unbeaten record but Pep Guardiola’s side have scored more goals and need to get back on track at Hoffenheim.
Hoffenheim’s results have been somewhat of a mixed bag so far this season in the Bundesliga but they are yet to lose at home and have scored in every single game they have played. A victory against Manchester City would set them up nicely for the double header against Lyon. But it is hard to see past a Manchester City victory – 2-1 to the Premier League side.
- Both teams to score
The defeat at home to Lyon was the first time that Manchester City had failed to score this season – and Hoffenheim have regularly put the ball in the net so far too – so expect goals when these two meet.
- Half time/Full time Man City/Man City
It seems inconceivable that Manchester City will play anywhere near as poorly as they did in the opening Champions League fixture against Lyon. Pep Guardiola was not pleased at all and it would not be a surprise to see City come flying out of the traps away to Hoffenheim.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Unsurprisingly, due to Hoffenheim’s recent ascent through the German leagues, these two have never met each other before in European competition.
- Manchester City were only one of five sides that scored after the 90 minutes had been played in the opening group fixtures. But Agüero’s goal couldn’t change the result against Lyon.
- Hoffenheim had a very admirable 19 attempts on goal in their opening Group F fixture. Considering that it was an away match against Shakhtar Donetsk, Guardiola may want to introduce some extra defensive training.
- Manchester City have been unable to reach the promised land of the Champions League final – they were knocked out by eventual runners up Liverpool last season.
- This is just Hoffenheim’s second season of European competition. After being knocked out by Liverpool in the Champions League play off round they recorded just one win in the Europa League at home to Istanbul Basaksahir.