Celtic vs Valencia: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Thursday, February 14th, 2019, @15:00
Scottish champions Celtic prepare to face a recovering Valencia side as the Europa League knockout stages begin.
Expect an intense European atmosphere at Celtic Park as one of the stand out last 16 ties pits the Hoops against the Bats in a contest that looks set to have the lot.
A host of the best betting sites favour the visitors to take a significant advantage back to the Mestalla with them but do not be too quick to dismiss the Glaswegians.
Brendan Rodgers’ Celtic side endured a nervy finish to group B which saw them just finish behind RB Leipzig to qualify but it took nerves of steel.
That never say die attitude could prove pivotal against a Valencia side who have spent large parts of this season out of sorts but also capable of world class performances.
Much depends on which Valencia side decides to turn up for Los Che head coach Marcelino who narrowly missed out on seeing his team progress in the Champions League group stages.
Celtic has only lost once at home in Europe this season and with Valencia’s unpredictability, we fancy the Hoops to take a narrow lead to Spain with them but for the visitors to strike with an all-important goal in a 2-1 home win.
- Double chance 1X
This bet offers an element of comprise as top bookmakers ensure the insurance of two results reduces the odds over the outright win, but you may be thankful for that.
Celtic have won their last eight home games in all competitions, but Valencia has recorded two draws in their last two away games including that impressive 2-2 at Barcelona meaning that draw option remains vital.
- Over 2.5 goals
Valencia has netted twice in each of their last two away games in all competitions whilst Celtic has scored seven in their last two home games.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
The pair have met in some heavyweight clashes in the past with Valencia the owners of the bragging rights.
Valencia defeated Celtic 6-4 over two legs during the 1962/63 Fairs Cup whilst Valencia again bested Celtic during the 2001/02 UEFA Cup, winning 5-4 on penalties after both sides won their home legs 1-0.
- This will be Valencia’s fifth UEFA match in Scotland having won two, drawn once and lost one of the four prior visits.
- Celtic scrapped through to the knockout stages despite losing to Salzburg in the final group game.
- Valencia finished third in Group H of the Champions League behind Juventus and Manchester United respectively.
- Valencia have overcome Celtic in the two prior two-legged contests during the 1962/63 and 2001/02 seasons.
- Valencia won the Europa League (UEFA Cup) in 2004 whereas Celtic won the Champions League (European Cup) in 1967.