Benfica vs Galatasaray: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Thursday, February 21st, 2019, @15:00
Estádio da Luz
Both these clubs dropped down into the Europa League after finishing third in their Champions League group.
Benfica will believe that they have one foot in the round of 16 after recording a very creditable 2-1 victory in Istanbul, The Portuguese side will be big favourites and will be looking to Haris Seferovic to once again get the goals to see them through.
Galatasaray will be disappointed to be travelling to Portugal chasing the tie but in losing at home they everything to do to ensure that their European adventure carries on for at least a few weeks yet. The Turkish side have been able to score regularly this season but will need to be on top form to get the win in Lisbon.
Benfica have been scoring for fun recently and will have nothing to fear going into the second leg. Their opponents had the majority of the possession in Istanbul but they were still able to come away with the victory that puts them in pole position.
Galatasaray brought in a number of players in the January transfer window in an attempt to challenge in the SuperLig and continue their Europa League campaign. Much will be expected from striker Mbaye Diagne but this is now a really big ask for the Turkish side who will have to play some really good football to get the win. This should end 2-1 to the hosts.
- Total goals over 3.5
If recent results are anything to go by then the bookies will be shortening these odds the closer we get to the match because Benfica are finding the net on a remarkable regular basis. Galatasaray have to go for the win as well, so there should be lots of goals in this one.
- Benfica to win and both teams to score
Galatasaray are surely going to get on the score sheet in Lisbon – but their chances of a victory seem slim.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
Benfica have now won the last two meetings between these sides – before then Galatasaray had won the only two games they had ever played against each other.
- Benfica have now scored 21 goals in their last five matches – helped especially by their 10-0 thrashing of Nacional in the Portuguese Primeira Liga.
- Galatasaray have now scored in every single game they have played since they lost 1-0 to city rivals Besiktas at the start of December.
- Benfica only won one of their three Champions League group games at home – against AEK Athens who ended up with zero points.
- Galatasaray failed to find the net in all three of their Champions League group matches away from home and only scored five overall.